Can you bypass a propane timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a turkey fryer kit with an 8 gallon pot for BIAB all grain batches.

Only thing is that they all come with this annoying timer that shuts teh propane off after 10 or 15 minutes.
Is there anyway to permantly remove this or otherwise bypass it?

Thanks!

Nick

I just drilled a small hole in the timer knob and twist-tied it to the main body. Surprisingly that twist tie has held tight for three years now. If I ever decide to re-purpose the timer it'll still work fine.

Not sure what you are looking at, but I just used my bayou burner turkey fryer today to brew. No timer at all. Maybe look at that brand.

I think it's a stupid Canadian thing. Our lawmakers must think we're stupid and we'll burn down the entire neighborhood with our turkey fryers if we don't have a 15 minute timer on the propane tank.

I have a turkey fryer with a timer on it. I drilled a hole in the knob and wired it to the wound up position with a piece of wire. Works great lasts a long time.

I'll try the wire/twist tie idea, thanks guys.

There's a 36 qt turkey fryer on sale here, complete with burner, themometer and strainer basket for 80 bucks.

I unscrewed the nut at the end in the timer from the valve. Removed the aluminum nut and a few pieces fell out. Put the alum nut back and cut the timer off. Works great.

Two words "Duct Tape". Set the timer, wrapped the tape, called it a day. Six months later its still going strong.

I second duct tape. worked for mine which has a heat sensor that kept shutting off the other day.

That said, there really is a reason turkey fryers need that stuff. People DO cause grease fires every holiday around here. One year 20 grease fires in my city. Stupid and hot oil are a poor combination.

I had one of these when I first started out as well. I unscrewed the screw on top of the timer knob, took the timer knob off, put the screw back in, and permanently depressed it with a rigged paperclip. Same idea as the twisty tie, but a paperclip is more sturdy. This worked just fine.

Another option is just to buy the kit with the timer and also buy a replacement hose and regulator, which is only about $12-15 at Sears/Lowes/Home Depot, etc.. As cheap as that turkey fryer kit is, you still come out ahead.

Twist timer to full time position, apply duct tape. Done.

Before you diss the timer for frying purposes, do a quick youtube search for "turkey fire"... I'm sure you'll find at least a hundred people that have burned down their trailers, garages and porches. I've actually read TWO separate newpaper articles about FIREHALLS being burned to the ground by FIREFIGHTERS using turkey fryers for thanksgiving or xmas dinner at the Hall.

Twist timer to full time position, apply duct tape. Done.

Before you diss the timer for frying purposes, do a quick youtube search for "turkey fire"... I'm sure you'll find at least a hundred people that have burned down their trailers, garages and porches. I've actually read TWO separate newpaper articles about FIREHALLS being burned to the ground by FIREFIGHTERS using turkey fryers for thanksgiving or xmas dinner at the Hall.

Just another example of the smart having to be inconvenienced because of the actions of the stupid.

Back