Washed Yeast got frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
So I washed some 1056 yeast last year and put 4 jars of it in my minifridge in my living room. They have been in their for over a year now and i finally took a look at them and the water was frozen. Eeek. So, I wonder if the yeast will who have gone dormant will be able to reconstitute or if the prolonged freezing and expansion of water lead to lysis of the yeast. I know that There are probably 100 billion individuals in the jar and it might be possible that at least a few werent lysed by the frozen water but my question is whether anyone has reconstituted frozen yeast. Thanks for your time guys.
-Jefe-

There's only one way to find out.Make up a gallon size yeast starter with DME and toss it in.Drain the water off the yeast first though

If they were frozen solid the odds are not real good, but definitely give it a shot in a starter. I just failed at my first experiment freezing yeast. I froze some Pacman in a solution of wort/water/glycerin. I think I did not mix it very well, and the first one I thawed out just sat in a starter for 36 hours and did nothing. I think the frozen water ruptures their cell walls.

I too tried the glycerin experiment and it sadly failed.Now,I just keep my yeast clean and washed until the next batch.If it's going to be too long in between batches,then I'll pitch a new yeast.I'm just not going to take a chance and have an experiment ruin a batch.

Back