American IPA All day IPA Clonish Take 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Us-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
27 Litres
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
60 ish
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Need to wait and see
Hey All,

I'm back with my new and improved All day inspired brew take two. I have brought in wheat this time to bring up the body a little as the last batch might have been a little light in body.

2.2Kg Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
2.2kg Wheat
250g biscuit
25g Simcoe 60 mins
20g of Simcoe and 20 Amarillo for 20 Mins
25g of Simcoe and 30 Amarillo for 5 mins
30g of Simcoe and 50 Amarillo Dry hop
27 Litres
About 4%

Brewing tomorrow, so will keep everyone posted with the results.

Wish me luck

Just an update, brewed this yesterday, had a delay (dont ask) so its now in the fermenter.

Swayed slightly from the above recipe.

2kg Wheat
2kg Pale malt
500g Crystal 30

20g Simcoe 60 mins
15g Simcoe and 15 grams Amarillo for 15
15g Simcoe and 35 grams Amarillo at flameout
I will dry hop with 50g of both Amarillo and Simcoe for 10 days once the fermentation slows down

Got 30 litres into the fermenter at 1.036. Really happy with this gravity

Mashed at 148 for an hour

Cant wait to bottle and taste, ill keep ye posted with results

Bottled this beer up last night,

nearly 3 weeks in fermenter. dry hopped for the last ten days.

FG came in at 1.007 so its rocking in at about 3.9%

Smell is just great, ill post a pic in another 3 weeks when i crack open a bottle.

So.. opened up my first one last night.. got too excited and took a rather large mouthful before i realized i didnt take a picture.. Boom Grapefruit and Orange. Really liking this beer.. definitely an improvement from the first attempt.. 3.8% and bags of flavour and a touch of bitterness.

Apologies for the glass i took a few from the pub where i work for my house.

IMAG0216.jpg

Add 10 - 20% rye, 10% oats in your recipe and drop the bisquit, you'll be close.

Been brewing a clonish of this recipe for some time now. Can't ever get the hops dialed in perfect, but Brewer says simcoe and amarillo only.

I like the simcoe only bittering charge you have. how's the bitterness compare?

Im not getting the rye feel from the original all day IPA.. no spiceyness comes through. Where did you come up with this.

The bitterness on my beer was quite light. I would think of upping the simcoe to maybe 30 grams next time.

Got a fresh 15 pack last night, there's almost certainly rye in the grist, though it may have a light hand.

Back