Maybe a crazy idea but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
So since I have been into homebrewing for a whole 2 days lol. I had an idea while making my first batch of beer.

So for my first batch I used 2 cans of liquid malt about 6.6 lbs.

So say I were to use one can of liquid malt and then 3.3-5lbs of some other sugary thing. I was thinking of something like cubing and blending peaches or apples then heating the mix for a while to break down the sugars.

Could I use this new liquid I made along with the other malt to make a beer. Since the yeast will convert sugar into alcohol my thinking is that the cooked fruit should work and should give the beer the flavor of whatever fruit I use.

Im probably wrong on a bunch of different levels here but would like to hear others input

sugars will thin it down and and it won't have the maltiness of beer. if you want to experiment with fruit, look into wine or cider making. do a search for apfelwein.

i would not add anything into the beer besides GRAINS. you can use extract, but i wouldn't go the sugar route for just any beer. look at other peoples recipes and look at what goes into the kits.

adding sugar to your beer will do two things: increase the alcohol and dry the beer out. too high a percentage and it will give it a cider taste (usually unpleasant).

stick with beer for a while if that's what you like. there are lots of recipes here and you can get tons of advice if you want to move to the next step, using more grains.

Yea Ive read about adding fruit to wheat beers in the secondary.

My question is this if the yeast is only eating the sugars and converting them to alcohol why would the addition of fruit sugars thin the beer. My only guess would be that it is something to do with the type of sugars found in the fruit vs those found in grains. Am I on the right track here.

Bear with me in new

I know you're all excited about brewing and all (we all went through it) but before you start experimenting willy nilly...actually LEARN about what the ingredients do, how recipes are created. Brew a few kits or recipes "AS IS" before you start tinkering with them...coming up with a balanced and tasty recipe takes some understanding of things...just like cooking...dumping a cup of salt will more than likely ruin a recipe...so if you cook, you KNOW not to do that...it's the same with brewing...you get an idea with experience and looking at recipes, brewing and playing with software how things work..what flavors work, etc...

In other words work on your brewing process FIRST...and least for the first 5 or maybe 10 batches...Then you will have better idea of what effect your "playing" will have on the other ingredients.

That way you will be less likely to have 5 gallons of ****...OR will not need to start an "Is my beer ruined?" thread...

You may think it's not "fun" but you will find that having 5 or more batches of good beer is pretty fun in it's own right...if you want to brew a fruit beer, actually buy a fruit beer kit and brew it as is...don't just try to add a bunch of something to something else...more than likely that will result in an "epic fail" on your part...

I hear you I got the complete joy of homebrewing book with my kit and I have a feeling that will be finished by the end of this long weekend.

I hear you I got the complete joy of homebrewing book with my kit and I have a feeling that will be finished by the end of this long weekend.

Believe it or not we see this every Christmas....over excited beginners...but like I said, we've all been there.. AND we've had people with MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE tell us the same thing...

We're the guys that are going to have to talk you through what more than likely be your mistake...ANd you are going to come back and post after you've just dumped 5 gallons and 50 bucks down the drain..."Yeah I should have listened."

After you finish reading Papazian, then read How to Brew - By John Palmer and read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/

Actually read that thread NOW...you will see over and over people saying "When you start out don't fuq with a set kit or recipe."

As soon as I saw "I've been brewing for a whole 2 days now lol" I thought...oh this should be good :)

Believe it or not we see this every Christmas....over excited beginners...but like I said, we've all been there.. AND we've had people with MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE tell us the same thing...

We're the guys that are going to have to talk you through what more than likely be your mistake...ANd you are going to come back and post after you've just dumped 5 gallons and 50 bucks down the drain..."Yeah I should have listened."

After you finish reading Papazian, then read How to Brew - By John Palmer and read this [U]https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/

Actually read that thread NOW...you will see over and over people saying "When you start out don't fuq with a set kit or recipe.[/U]"

Post #5

I think we need to think outside the box. Yeah..sure.. adding fruit sugars to beer thins the beer.. but adding the sugars from grains adds complexity to wines... So if you are looking for a standard beer style I guess you are plain outa luck but if you are looking to make a fruit wine - and IMO fruit wines are not subject to the same "style" restrictions that brewers invoke - so the addition of grains may be a pleasant addition to the fruit... Just sayin'

And here, too, breathing new life into yet another ancient thread.

Both threads have very similar titles, and are from 2008. Coincidence? I think not. There's a conspiracy afoot.

I bet it's the similar thread box at the bottom of the web version... I don't think it has the last date the thread was posted in.

Conspiracy indeed.

Date of last post is listed...Looking at the 'similar threads' list right now and it shows threads dating back to 2006!:eek:

Yep, it popped up on the feed at the bottom. I'm new to this site and browsing. No reason to be an ass about it.

Yep, it popped up on the feed at the bottom. I'm new to this site and browsing. No reason to be an ass about it.

Since I'm sure that you grant others the same benefit of the doubt, you're right- everyone else here has overstepped the being an ass limit of forums.

Except this guy:

As soon as I saw "I've been brewing for a whole 2 days now lol" I thought...oh this should be good :)

Oh, wait... Pot? Kettle?

Back