Input on Honey Malt Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
I've been brewing for over a year now but just recently started tinkering with my own recipes. Honey malt sounds like a really interesting malt to use and with the dog days of summer fast approaching, I thought I would try it in a simple easy-drinking blonde recipe.
Please let me know what you think:

4# pils (or simple 2-row)
4# Vienna
2# wheat malt
.5# honey malt

1 oz Amarillo (FWH)
1 oz Saaz 10 min (or smaller amount of Amarillo)

US-05 or Notty in the low-mid 60's

thanks

I just posted on wanting to do something similar. This would be my first time creating a recipe and I am wanting to do a honey blonde. Just an easy drinking beer. This will also be my first all grain batch. Originally I was going to do this:
-8 lbs Pilsner 2 row
-8 oz crystal 20L
-8 oz Vienna Malt
-1 lbs Honey (orange blossom or something like that)

-1/2 oz nugget 60 mins
-1/2 oz amarillo 5 mins

But after some suggestions I wanted to cut down the IBUs and am now thinking of this:
-6lbs Pilsner
-1lbs Vienna
-4oz crystal 20L
-.25 oz Magnum 60 mins
-.5 oz Amarillo 5 mins or flameout
-1 lb honey 5 mins
-mash at 153

Have you used honey malt before? I am just curious how it tastes.

ChargersSB - never used honey malt but read a lot about it here. May I ask what you are trying to get from your honey? I think many people make the mistake of thinking honey will sweeten up a recipe when it actually gets completely eaten by the yeast and will dry out the flavor. I think you could add it to 2ndary to get more flavor out of it but not sure if it would be a hassle to dissolve, mix up, etc. Honey malt will add a honey-like sweetness/flavor to the beer from everything I've read. It appears to be pretty potent and most people say start off w/ 4-8ozs and see how you like it.

Terrapinj - I just tossed the wheat in there for some extra head/lacing and to keep the recipe light in color. Cloudy doesn't really bother me - I like hefe's and unfiltered beers. Maybe a blonde should technically be "brighter" but I guess I refer to a blonde as anything that is a "lighter colored and flavored ale" that doesn't fall into any specific category like a hefe or Kolsch.

thanks for the feedback

Not sure. It sounds good. I looked at quite a few honey blonde recipes and several of them had honey usually recommended to add the last five minutes of the boil. Some also put some in the secondary and/or used it to prime. I was hesitant in using honey malt because I also heard it can be quite potent. I think this first go around I am going to try the honey and if it makes it too dry maybe use honey malt next time. What are your IBUs calculated at with that hop schedule?

Beersmith shows IBUs at 37, of which 32 are the first/bittering addition.
That's probably a little higher than I want which is why I'm doing a first wort hop, it's supposed to provide a "smoother" bitterness which I have found to be the case in the couple times I've used the technique. It really does seem to mellow it out a bit and lower the "perceived" bitterness.
I could use a lower AAU hop but I'm just using Amarillo because I have a stockpile in my freezer :)

Back