Best starter equipment package?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
I'm just wondering whats the best bang for your buck starter packages to get into home brewing. I was looking at the midwest supplies sets, they seem to be better than the northern brewer sets. Thanks.

Quality is pretty standard across the board, just look for the cheapest one that comes with:
Ale Pail (fermenter)
Bottling bucket
Red "wing capper"
Autosiphon
bottle filler
airlock
hydrometer
and some vinyl tubing

Check out craigslist too, I didnt think to do that when i was buying mine but once in a while someone throws the towel in after a couple batches and you can capitalize on that.

when getting a set up initially, would it be best to go ahead and get one that comes with the secondary already? I just wanna try some extract brews initially.

I bought a Midwest setup that came with a fermenting pail, a bottling bucket and TWO 5 gallon Better Bottles. Had I known when I ordered, I would have substituted a 6 gallon bb for one of the 5 gallon. In the future, I plan on using the bb for primary fermenting, and the "ale pail" will simply be another pail.

glenn514:mug:

when getting a set up initially, would it be best to go ahead and get one that comes with the secondary already? I just wanna try some extract brews initially.

No the secondary is not needed. I would not recommend using one.

A big pot (8 gallon) and a immersion chiller are very nice to have.

I looked at the kits when I went to buy and I even opened one up. I realized quickly that the picture on the box was not necessarily what was inside. There were things that I wanted to buy up front like an auto siphon and a wine thief. So I grabbed a 6.5 glass carboy and filled the cart up with everything I needed. I made my own kit and it didnt cost that much more than a kit with a carboy and I got the "better" pieces that I wanted. I later picked up a 5 gallon carboy for a secondary. Except for the glass the small parts and pieces were really not that expensive.

Whichever kit you end up getting, I haven't seen any with star-san, a vinator or a bottle-filling wand. I'd highly recommend adding those if the kit doesn't include them. Just bottled my first batch and they were invaluable, made the process very smooth and enjoyable.

I purchased a kit from Williams Brewing that came with the usual stuff plus 8 gal bk, wort chiller, and recipe kit for just over $200. Pretty pleased with it so far. Will be bottling first batch (eng. IPA) in two days. They seemed to have the best deal if you need a bk and shipping was very reasonable.

I thought you were asking for equipment to make yeast starters...opps!

cool. thanks. whats a good starter type of beer to do that isnt easy to and still maintains good flavor? weizen?

cool. thanks. whats a good starter type of beer to do that isnt easy to and still maintains good flavor? weizen?

A true weizen will require using liquid yeast. I would advise making a starter when using liquid yeast. As a beginner it may be easier to make a beer with dry yeast and not get mixed up in making a starter for your first batch. Just about any American or English style ale can be made with dry yeast. A pale ale would be a great first brew. I highly recomend you use a good quality kit with fresh ingredients. Austin Homebrew and morebeer.com have great kits.

I would second the Williams Brewing starter kit for best bang for your buck. You get a wort chiller and a decent BK to start, along with all the other essentials in a well thought out package. It will get you going with an extract brew on your stovetop very quickly.

I've found Midwest to be the best price for the setups offered in all the looking I've done too (the intermediate kit is what I'm looking at for more "long term" investment), but I have not ordered mine quite yet either, so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread as well. :)

I would second the Williams Brewing starter kit for best bang for your buck. You get a wort chiller and a decent BK to start, along with all the other essentials in a well thought out package. It will get you going with an extract brew on your stovetop very quickly.

ah cool, the kit that comes with the belgian harvest ale sounds like good times. but you can get the upped basic kit and a recipe kit for a little bit less. hm. AND a free michelob glass! hah.

ill third on the Williams kit.. Ive been using it for the past 5 brews and love the brew kettle and the wort chiller.. also got a double stout with it

Back