Filtering / Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliBChrist

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like my carbonated mead.

What I don't like is after I prime it, and bottle it for about a month or so, I get a thin, yeastcake-like substance at the bottom of the bottles, which over all affects the clairity of the mead after it's been opened. Doesn't really have any effect on the taste, but I'm thinking presentation here.

my question is, should I invest in a wine filter system, or will it filter out the yeast needed to get a good carb on?

Also, I'm having problems getting a good head out of a bottle of mead when I pour it into a glass. Am I using too much priming sugar (I use 1/2 cup of honey added in to a 3 gal batch)? Not Enough? Am I not letting it sit long enough?

Thanks in advance everybody. :mug:

The only way to do what you're talking about is force carbonating with a Co2 keg system and bottling the clear carbonated mead from there into the bottle.

If you want bottle carbed, you kinda gotta live with the byproduct of yeast fermenting your bottling sugar - which is co2 and a little yeast cake.

I've never had mead with a head. Beer has head because of the proteins and such in grain and the hops...and these also factor into head retention.

Think of carb'd mead like champagne. It might fizz up a lot at first but it quickly diminishes.

Now, a braggot...that could have significant head.

Back