Small Batch Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
Hello,

Lately I've been noticing some problems with my brews, so I've decided to do a few small batches, vary one parameter for each, and try and figure out the problem. Should be an interesting experiment. However, I don't want to waste a whole bunch of ingredients, so I want to limit my batch sizes to about 2.5 gallons. I did a little bit of research, but I don't really know what to use for a secondary fermenter. I am just going to use my 5 gallon carboy for the primary, trusting that the CO2 pressure from fermentation will purge any oxygen. But what about the secondary? If I use another 5 gallon carboy, that's quite a bit of air in there. Worried about oxidation.

So long story short, do you guys have suggestions of what I can use for a secondary that is safe, cheap as all hell, and I could get within a day?

I was thinking get several gallon glass jugs of wine, but man, that could lead to one hell of a hangover for brewing tomorrow :)

Thanks!

I'm not sure that it matters. Since CO2 is heavier than air, it should create a barrier between the beer and the oxygen. If you're not moving the carboy I would think it would be ok. Maybe someone a little more experienced than myself could elaborate it larger secondaries are a problem.

See if your grocery store sells dry ice. You can drop some into the bottom of the carboy creating a cushion of CO2.

Your LHBS should sell 3 gallon glass carboys. I use mine for small batches, but I agree with BassBurner that it is probably unnecessary.

It won't be a big problem so long as you aren't keeping the beers in secondary for a long time (month +) and then saving the bottles. Even when you rack to the secondary CO2 will come out of solution and drive off a decent amount of the oxygen in your secondary.

you'll be fine in 5 gallon carboys.

by the way, What hind of problems are your beers having. we may be able to help tracking them down

Don't rack to a secondary - just leave it in the primary. The issue of off flavors and autolysis is probably overblown if you have a good cold break and leave the trub behind and pitch enough healthy yeast.

Latest posts

Back