12 oz. bottle yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumtired

Reaction score
This weekend I will be bottleing my first batch of brew. :ban: Can someone tell me approximately how many 12 oz. bottles I will need? Thanks

plumtired said:
This weekend I will be bottleing my first batch of brew. :ban: Can someone tell me approximately how many 12 oz. bottles I will need? Thanks

50-ish. You'll get a couple cases of beer out of a 5 gallon batch.

For a 5Gal batch, ~2 cases. I would have ~50-54 bottles ready at most, to be safe.

~2 and one half cases for a 5 gallon volume. This compensates for all the variables that might end up on the high side-- slightly more that 5 gal batch, underfilling bottles, etc

Here is the converstion for you:
5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

same here, when I bottle I just get 2 and a half cases of bottles ready. I usually end up with around 54 full bottles when I'm done, but WTF washing and sanatizing a few extra's dont hurt. Plus that way if I get stupid and break 1 or 2 or 6 I'm still OK

brackbrew said:
What the heck am I doing wrong then? I never seen to top out above 2 cases!

BREW ON:mug:

If you are like me, you lose about 1/2 gallon of your original volume to trub during the process of racking. If I make a 5 gallon batch of beer, I will end up with 4.5 gallons in the bucket and two cases of beer in the bottles. I compensate for the loss by making a 5.5 gallon batch so I end up with 5 gallons.

-walker

Walker-san said:
If you are like me, you lose about 1/2 gallon of your original volume to trub during the process of racking. If I make a 5 gallon batch of beer, I will end up with 4.5 gallons in the bucket and two cases of beer in the bottles. I compensate for the loss by making a 5.5 gallon batch so I end up with 5 gallons.

-walker

do you compensate for the exta .5 gal by adding more malt/hops? I would think you would miss your OG (i know you don't care about OG, SG, FG, PG, PG-13, KG, RPG, and MMORPG) This was more for my and plumtired's benefit.....

todd_k said:
do you compensate for the exta .5 gal by adding more malt/hops? I would think you would miss your OG (i know you don't care about OG, SG, FG, PG, PG-13, KG, RPG, and MMORPG) This was more for my and plumtired's benefit.....

Yes, I actually do compensate. I use a recipe calculator to approximate what my OG and FG will be for a recipe, and I try to keep them in range for the style of beer... I just don't actually measure what I produce. :)

-walker

Latest posts

Back