SHI- boiling water + yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
Ok, I just did a STUPID thing, So I boiled some water to sanitize it to re-hydrate my yeast in (I originaly was going to just skip this) but I then just straight dumped the yeast in the water

I saw my mistake right away and put some cold water in the yeast and Im boiling some water and extract right now to check if the yeast is dead or not. Im assuming its dead.

I do have a backup yeast though, Its not the one that came with this kit (Irish red) its from a German Alt kit, if this yeast is dead is it safe to use that one?

Ok, I just did a STUPID thing, So I boiled some water to sanitize it to re-hydrate my yeast in (I originaly was going to just skip this) but I then just straight dumped the yeast in the water

I saw my mistake right away and put some cold water in the yeast and Im boiling some water and extract right now to check if the yeast is dead or not. Im assuming its dead.

I do have a backup yeast though, Its not the one that came with this kit (Irish red) its from a German Alt kit, if this yeast is dead is it safe to use that one?

Probably. What kind of yeasts are they? The package should say.

It's certainly safe. It might lead to a different flavor, but you should still end up with good beer. Better than not brewing.

In the future, I like to keep a packet each of US-05 and S-04 in my fridge for such occasions; Nottingham is good too, but I can't get it at the moment.

The one I think I threw into suicide mode was "Windsor brewing yeast"

The one for the german alt is...Safale K-97.

Would it be recommended to just go for the K-97?

Well, my wort is just about to boil, So Im gonna go add in the extract now (already removed grain bag).

If this yeast isnt bubbling in 30 mins Im picthing it and making sure to order some more before I make my german alt.

I should also add. I love how fast you guys respond :D. While this isnt a dire emergency (it feels like it to me) since I have another yeast, Its great to get the help quickly when you need it.

How strong of a flavor does yeast add to the overall beer?

Will I be able to notice a large differnce or something more subtle and it will still taste like Irish Red.?

Its been 30 mins and nothing is going down on the yeast :\.

Thankfully I ordered that other kit and it has yeast. I dont plan on hydrating it, just dumping it right into the carboy.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of people and places talk about 2 packets of yeast. My kits each only came with 1 11.5g packet. Is that the right ammount?

Its been 30 mins and nothing is going down on the yeast :\.

Thankfully I ordered that other kit and it has yeast. I dont plan on hydrating it, just dumping it right into the carboy.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of people and places talk about 2 packets of yeast. My kits each only came with 1 11.5g packet. Is that the right ammount?

I'm sure that yeast will be fine, although I've never used that one. Like the others said, next time you order, order some nottingham and/or some s-05. Those neutral yeasts are great for emergencies like this. I think Windsor is less attenuative and so you'll get a drier beer with this other yeast, but no harm will be done.
One package of dry yeast is enough for 5 gallons of wort, no worries there.

Thanks YooperBrew--you're the WOman!

Its great to have HBT to have my back while Im brewing. I assumed my first brew wouldent go over that well (why I bought 2 kits so the second batch could be better after I down the first) but not this hectic!

Thanks for the advice again.

11 g of yeast is fine for most beers- when you see 2 packs called for, it's either 5g packs or a honker of a beer. The K-97 should do fine for you, and you should see some activity tomorrow. If that's the biggest goof you made on your first brew, you've done well. The hardest part will be waiting for it to be good and ready to drink. Congratulations!

Back