Brewers Best RIS Kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So today I helped a friend who works at one of the local beverage stores move what random homebrewing stuff they had at one store, to his. I also went through the stuff with him and told him what to keep and what to throw away. It was really sad. They had 1lb packages of centennial, fuggles, and northern brewer hop pellets that were over a year old and had just been sitting on the shelf. With the hop situation I was really upset about that :mad:. But for my troubles I got a Brewers Best RIS Kit, It was good I checked it, for FREE:ban: . Has anyone brewed this kit before? I was thinking about adding some chocolate to the mix, but I've never brewed with chocolate so I don't know much about it. Ill post the ingredients and if anyone can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

BB RIS

6.6lbs Plain Dark LME
2lbs Plain Dark DME
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Black Patent
1lb Crystal 60
1oz Magnum 60mins

The instructions are general extract kit instructions.

DO NOT ALTER THIS KIT! (yet) I only have 11 22oz bottles left, trying to let it age as long as possible per advice from members of my brew club. It just gets better and better with age and was very good when it was young (brewed Oct-Nov). I have no changes I would make to it and I tinker with most everything I brew. I have doubled the steep time for the grains in the BB kits and sparge my grain bag with a pot of coffee maker water. Just brew it and try to resist your natural urges to drink it up!

Thanks for the advice. Ill keep it the way it is. Im leaving for the summer in a couple of months. So I plan on putting it in secondary until I get back in july, bottling it then, and putting it away until December or so.

I just made my brewers best RIS kit, I added a half oz of hops to the bittering, and a few grams to the aroma...

I was curious though, how long did you have to ferment your RIS? Mines only been in the fermentation bucket for a couple days and it already isn't bubbling...

I saw the same thing. I set up for a possible blowout with a tube off of my airlock and even called my wife from work to check that the lid wasn't a dome the next day, it bubbled fiercely for about 36 hours then stopped. Made a great beer though. The only tweak I did was to add 8 oz chocolate wheat in the hopes it would give me a creamier head. It seems to have worked well.

Back