Actual Volume of a White Labs Vial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
To this point, I've used Wyeast because of the relatively low volume. But there's a strain that White Labs has that Wyeast does not...thus I'm going White this time around.

For the purpose of calculating my starter volume, what is the approximate volume of a White Labs vial? I know they say "equivalent cell counts to a 1-pint starter," but I can't see any way that the vial is actually 1 pint...would be more of a bottle than a vial if that were the case.

I'm thinking somewhere around 250 mL?

I don't have a vial sitting here, so I'm not sure exactly, but there's no way it's 250 mL. It's probably more like 50-75.

The vials are small. Nowhere near a pint. I'm pretty sure the claim is the same as Wyeast's "enough to inoculate 5 gal of wort". You will be safe making a 1 pint starter and pitching the vial.

The vials I believe are 30 mL or so. The pint starter thing does not mean a pint of yeast. It means the cell growth you get when you put the yeast in a pint of wort.

A pint starter will just wake the yeast up and get them active. If cell growth is what you are after, then you will need a starter closer to 2 liters.

The vials I believe are 30 mL or so. The pint starter thing does not mean a pint of yeast. It means the cell growth you get when you put the yeast in a pint of wort.

A pint starter will just wake the yeast up and get them active. If cell growth is what you are after, then you will need a starter closer to 2 liters.

I more or less figured. I'm looking to inoculate a stir-plated 1 liter starer, and am trying to determine the volume of wort I should prepare. So if the volume of the vials is indeed as small as 30-50ml, I can probably be safe with a full 1 liter boil volume.

Back