Install stc1000 thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franks160

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the stc1000 to replace freezer thermostat? If so can you hard wire it where the old one is or is there more to it?

Yes you can replace the stock thermo w stc1000. Use the relay on temp controller to connect 110v ac to the compressor power wire and connect ac power and common to the stc. Did this on my mini fridge and have the stc on the ceiling inside the fridge.

That's what I was thinking but unsure about doing it. Do you have any pics?
Thanks

Can anyone supply a diagram for this one?

I don't know anything about wiring, but I think that I can work my way through the wiring for the STC-1000 if it is connected both to the freezer for the cooling end and a warming unit (blanket, ceramic fan) on the other end. (At least, I can enlist the aid of my 15 year-old nephew, the son of an aerospace engineer, lol.)

What would the difference be between the wiring diagrams currently available for the "standard" set up above, and one in which the freezer thermostat is taken out and the wiring between the freezer thermostat and the compressor is adapted for the STC-1000?

And - is this necessarily a better set up than just plugging in the freezer to the STC-1000 and leaving the original thermostat in place? I would assume (and again, I know next to nothing about wiring) that there is less draw on the SCT-1000, which is rated to 10 amps, I believe.

Then again, this thread suggests that there is really nothing to worry about.

Best,

Steve

OK - did some more reading - a couple of hours worth. This forum has so much to offer if you're willing to take the time.

Although there might be some advantages to replacing the thermostat in the freezer with the STC-1000, I've decided to go with 14 g wire and a fuse between the STC-1000 and the wall socket plug.

Best,

Steve

OK - did some more reading - a couple of hours worth. This forum has so much to offer if you're willing to take the time.

Although there might be some advantages to replacing the thermostat in the freezer with the STC-1000, I've decided to go with 14 g wire and a fuse between the STC-1000 and the wall socket plug.

Best,

Steve

I was wondering about this as I want to hardwire the system but was just wondering if I should be taking out the stock relay or wire the STC1000 just before the relay so that the power is essentially sent to the relay and it goes about it's way do doing stuff.

I removed the old thermostat and replaced it. When you install the new thermostat you need to run a jumper wire from the constant to the shut off. Mine has been in since the original post and works great. The only problem with it is you have to run you thermometer wire up the back and under the lid of the chest freezer. When I get home I'll send a pic of the wiring.

Back