tower extensions and running (2) kegs into one tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
So I realized that, if I can get my hands on (2) 2.5 or 3 gal kegs for cheap, that I could expand my kegerator from either 2 taps to 3 or 4. I'm leaning more towards 3 taps, I can't get over how expensive most of the 4 tap towers are!

That being said, I was looking at just getting an extension tower for my existing tower. I was curious if I could push co2 to each of the 2.5-3 gal kegs and then have a splitter line that pushes the beer from each into the same tap? The idea would be to have the same beer kegged in each and pull it out of the extension tap.

Thoughts?

Also, would I need a new regulator or just some sort of co2 distributor?

If you're going to have the same beer in a pair of kegs, why bother hooking their outputs to the same faucet? I don't see the advantage to counter the additional QD, "combiner" (splitter turned backwards, I guess), and all the hose clamps, just to save you from having to move a QD when the first keg kicks.

As for gas, you can connect as many kegs to the same gas line as you want, just keep adding either splitters or manifolds (I favor manifolds - I find having a shutoff for every QD is A Good Thing)...

Cheers!

The main reason was that a lot of stuff sits on top of my kegerator, so if there were a way to not have to open it to swap the kegs that would be great. Wasn't sure what would be involved.

The main reason was that a lot of stuff sits on top of my kegerator, so if there were a way to not have to open it to swap the kegs that would be great. Wasn't sure what would be involved.

Ok, that could be a reason ;)

So add a beer QD for the second keg, run it and its brother keg output to a 3/16"ID tee, and run the output of the tee to your faucet. On the other side, split the existing gas line, insert a gas tee or manifold, and add enough gas line from each tee output to hook up the two gas QDs and be able to reach the kegs.

Put hose clamps on all connections and you're good to go. You'll need to maintain gas pressure on both kegs. Otherwise, eventually one keg will probably find a way to push beer into the other...

Cheers!

I've got a two tap extender on my kegerator. It fits over the existing tower, a little above the single tap. You have to drill three little holes to hold it in place.

Instead of a distributor, I just use a couple of plastic "T" connectors to split the gas line.

Works fine.

:mug:

dont put two kegs in parrallel with one tap. if they dont get emptied at exactly the same rate, when the first empties you will only get foam for the entire other keg. this is how you correctly set up two kegs to dispense at the same time...

you need to modify the gas-in connection on one of the kegs to be a liquid-in. that just means you have to swap the small gas dip tube for a long liquid one. starting from your CO2 tank, you hook the gas up to the first keg. then you make a jumper from the liquid-out post of that keg, to the modified liquid-in post (with the longer dip tube) on the second keg. from that second keg, you put the liquid-out connection going to the faucet.

this way, the first keg will empty into the second as you draw from it. the faucet will kick only after both kegs are fully empty.

Makes perfect sense - what is the most economical way for me to track down these parts? Is there such thing as an economical way to get (2) 2.5 or 3 gal kegs? Cheapest I have found is $100 each.

dont put two kegs in parrallel with one tap. if they dont get emptied at exactly the same rate, when the first empties you will only get foam for the entire other keg. this is how you correctly set up two kegs to dispense at the same time...

you need to modify the gas-in connection on one of the kegs to be a liquid-in. that just means you have to swap the small gas dip tube for a long liquid one. starting from your CO2 tank, you hook the gas up to the first keg. then you make a jumper from the liquid-out post of that keg, to the modified liquid-in post (with the longer dip tube) on the second keg. from that second keg, you put the liquid-out connection going to the faucet.

this way, the first keg will empty into the second as you draw from it. the faucet will kick only after both kegs are fully empty.

any chance you can post a pic?

I've got a two tap extender on my kegerator. It fits over the existing tower, a little above the single tap. You have to drill three little holes to hold it in place.

Instead of a distributor, I just use a couple of plastic "T" connectors to split the gas line.

Works fine.

:mug:

any chance you can post a pic?

Here is the extension I used:

k297a.jpg

Back