Regulator Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a dual regulator that I recently purchased from Midwest. I have the keg hooked up to the line closest to the tank, and it is holding pressure fine at 12 psi. The other line is not hooked to anything. The knob is turned all the way to the left, so nothing should be going through. However, the dial keeps creeping up to 25-30 psi. If I pull the relief pin, it will go back to 0, but is back up to 25-30 within an hour or so. Is the regulator defective, or will this be fixed if another keg is hooked up to the system?

Try switching the keg you do have to the second and see what happens to the first. Sounds like a slow buildup of residual pressure, but can't imaging why. I am building my second and third regulator sequence now, so am curious to see what happens...

Sounds like something is blocking the poppet from closing. There was a thread on here a few days back with a clearing method bt I can't seem to find it. I would email midwest and let them know, they should either tell you how to clear it (as long as you are confortable doing so) or replace it. From memeroy the other thread was a midwest reg as well.

Just as an update for those who may be searching with the same problem. I contacted Midwest, and they sent me a method to clear an obstruction, and it worked like a charm.

1. Turn off gas.
2. Remove brass nut that is connected to gas line (the one that isn't taped).
3. Turn the regulator knob a few turns so it is opened up a bit.
4. Pull the pressure relief pin out about halfway (they suggested wearing a glove, I didn't).
5. Turn on the tank in short bursts to clear obstruction. Use short bursts so obstruction doesn't freeze in place.

Worked great!

so it was a true obstruction...interesting.

I am struggling to find the 1/4 inch left and right hand threaded brass fittings that will allow me to link the three regulators that i have. one is functional, the other two are on the shelf until I make to the welding supply store to shop for parts.

Back