how can I increase the abv, but keep the ratio the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
hey guys, i have a beer that I want to increase the OG from 1.064 by an additional 1% abv. But I want to keep the ratio of the grains the same...

all it is, is two-row 11 lbs. and crystal 40L 1 lbs. I want to bring it up a bit, but I don't want the flavor to change.

You keep all the grain proportional and it should keep the similar flavor profile. You will get a bit more flavor with more grain, but should be very similar.

Only increase the base malt, in your case that's just the 2-row.

EDIT: I know you'll get contradicting opinions on this question... but I'm just going with what Zainasheff writes in Brewing Classic Styles when referring to making varying strengths of Scottish Ale... he says something along the lines of 'only change the base malt amounts for a different strength beer with the same flavor profile. Many brewers will incorrectly change the amount of specialty malt too but that is wrong.' ... that's not an exact quote, but it's something very similar.

Could always toss some sugar in there if you are wanting to keep the FG the same. If you want more body, add more 2row.

1 lb of Corn Sugar should raise the ABV by a percentage point. That being said it will reduce the FG some so if you're aiming for a full mouth feel then I'd just increase the base malt a tad.

ok, so it looks like i'll just have to increase the base malt. I don't really want to use sugar as a booster since it changes the mouthfeel and finish. so you guys think, the added base malt won't change the flavor so much? alright, thanks guys

Back