Mash temp too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I just mashed an irish red at 166F. Beersmith called for 158 for 45 min. I was pressed for time & had to start before the strike water came to my target temp. What will this do to my beer?:confused:

Well then, you will end up with more unfermentablesugars than had you mashed at the lower temps. This will give you a bigger bodied beer as opposed to a Dry Ale, not that 158 would give you a dry ale though. The result will first show itself with a high FG. Bet you still drink it.

Well then, you will end up with more unfermentablesugars than had you mashed at the lower temps. This will give you a bigger bodied beer as opposed to a Dry Ale, not that 158 would give you a dry ale though. The result will first show itself with a high FG. Bet you still drink it.

That sounds fine to me. I was shooting for a bigger bodied irish red anyway. Hence the 158 mash temp. Hopefully its good. Yes, I'll choke it down. Thanks.

How did this turn out? Im interested to see how high you can mash before its too high. I know the enzyme activity temps but I'm interested to see how it plays out in practice.

Back