American Pale Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiedds

Reaction score
I am planning an All Grain American Pale Ale for my next brew session. Does anyone have a spectacular recipe and description they would be willing to share? Recently, I've brewed an IPA, ESB, American Brown Ale, Bourbon Oatmeal Stout, Saison and Robust Porter but I still haven't brewed an American Pale Ale (which should be a standard go-to style). Thanks ahead for your advice or recipes.

The standard grain bill that I use for my pale ales is:
9.5lb Domestic 2-row
8oz wheat malt
8oz caramel 60L
8oz victory malt
(1.050 at 75% efficiency, 6 gallon batch)

You can really chose any hop you like. I have done this with Cascade and Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo, as well as other combos. Add 1-2 oz of hops in the last 10 minutes and the one bittering addition at 60 to get about 40 IBUs. Dry hopping may or may not be needed depending on your system and tastes.

Yeast is also flexible. If you want clean, wlp001/wy1056/US-05 are good choices. I have also used some of the more attenuative Eglish strains and they are nice too (wlp028, etc.).

Hope this helps.

I am planning an All Grain American Pale Ale for my next brew session. Does anyone have a spectacular recipe and description they would be willing to share? Recently, I've brewed an IPA, ESB, American Brown Ale, Bourbon Oatmeal Stout, Saison and Robust Porter but I still haven't brewed an American Pale Ale (which should be a standard go-to style). Thanks ahead for your advice or recipes.

I have a really good APA that uses Cascade & Citra hops in my recipe index.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/citra-pale-ale-187089/

Lots of people (myself included) also really enjoy EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Search the internet and find some recipes for Citra hop pale ales. I love these hops. I love the wheat malt in the pales, browns, and IPA's too.

A good American pale ale usually has one (or more) of the 3 C hops. I really like centennial and cascade. (I am not much of a fan of citra). I also like amarillo and simcoe.

My "house pale" is pretty good, with more of a malt backbone than many APAs I've tried.

I guess it depends what you're looking for- big hop flavor and aroma? More malt behind the hops? Light and easy drinking? That can help guide you towards which recipe you would like to try.

I want a Pale Ale with solid American hop flavor and aroma balanced by a more bready than sweet malt structure. More like an Americanized ESB. Willamette and Cascades have been my goto hops, I use them for my bittering additions as well, but it might be time to branch out a bit.

Back