Fermentation too quick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeorjacob

Reaction score
Brewed a breakfast-y stout three days ago. 2.5 pounds of grain (a one gallon batch) plus a quarter pound of brown sugar at flameout. Original gravity was 1.061.

Fermenting with about 1/3 a vial of WLP545 (Belgian Strong). Three days later the Brix is 8, which according to my calculations puts the current gravity somewhere around 1.015. This is only a few points off target, much quicker than any other batch I've brewed. Should I be nervous? Worried? Excited? Can I just bottle it?

Also, this is the first batch I've used yeast nutrient on (just one teaspoon) - is this the reason for my (apparent) success?

Trying to be cautiously optimistic but also don't want to get too excited about something that could be bad. Thoughts?

What was the temperature of the fermentation. That, more than just about anything else, will affect fermentation time.

In the long run, I don't think it will matter much. You'll STILL want to give your brew time to condition . . at least a few weeks in the fermenter. Even though primary fermentation has neared completion, there are still some by-products that will be converted. Time is your friend :)

Ambient, so I suppose it's warmer in the middle of the wort - or was when really active fermentation was going on.

Ambient, so I suppose it's warmer in the middle of the wort - or was when really active fermentation was going on.

Yeah active fermentation can kick it up to 10 degrees higher. You're in Ypsi? You've got to have a closet cooler than that! ;-) (Spent 12 years in AA). Definitely want to monitor the actual wort temp next time.

Back