Smoking while brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a set-n-forget smoker and was just reading the morning brewing forum and I had a thought....

How Bout smoking meat WHILE brewing? Does anyone do this? I figure during strike water heating, mashing, and racking there's enough time to check on the meat

I've done this. Smoked 3 racks of ribs out back (cooking deck) while brewing an AG batch out front garage/driveway). Admittedly, did a lot of frantic laps around the house, but both came out delicious. BTW, I don't have one of those fancy set and forget rigs...just an old school horizontal stick burner. It's all about fire control.

When I was a noob at smoking and a reasonably experienced brewer, I did both at the same time and there was a lot of running back and forth. Now that I know what I'm doing on the smoker (and thanks to the DigiQ controller) I can do both no problem. I just time the brew at a time when the smoker doesn't need any attention.

I do it all the time. Last weekend was a Packer Brisket started early then brewed a Cali Common, then the beef was done.

Here was some jerky and Bourbon Barrel Porter mid Sep.

I brined some strips of Beef Bottom Round overnight in a brine recipe I got from a retired Surveyor that he got from the Mo Conservationist magazine about 35 or 40 yrs ago.

I used Royal Oak and a chunk of Peach @ 150*F for 5 hrs.

D1308372-ECBB-4B69-8B16-CBACC0A10B7D_zpssdlds7i6.jpg

I also brewed a Porter

E11735DE-EAE9-49DD-9F28-DC266401D562_zpsebqgbsuj.jpg

F9ACCDED-1351-411A-BC3E-0D5507E9011D_zpsrzpkayyr.jpg

FE55AF5C-FD8A-4F8C-B6E4-9D466C011803_zpsgdlqr5of.jpg

And there you have it

004_zps94fced5e.jpg

SWMBO said it's not only the best jerky I've ever made, it's the best she's ever eaten! I must say, it is good! (Thanks again Bob)

I'll add the oak cubes soaked in Maker's 46 in a couple weeks.

BEDCEDF9-1030-4A12-9949-295D18A2CBAD_zpsvsp9xkho.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do it all the time. Last weekend was a Packer Brisket started early then brewed a Cali Common, then the beef was done.

Here was some jerky and Bourbon Barrel Porter mid Sep.

I brined some strips of Beef Bottom Round overnight in a brine recipe I got from a retired Surveyor that he got from the Mo Conservationist magazine about 35 or 40 yrs ago.

I used Royal Oak and a chunk of Peach @ 150*F for 5 hrs.

D1308372-ECBB-4B69-8B16-CBACC0A10B7D_zpssdlds7i6.jpg

I also brewed a Porter

E11735DE-EAE9-49DD-9F28-DC266401D562_zpsebqgbsuj.jpg

F9ACCDED-1351-411A-BC3E-0D5507E9011D_zpsrzpkayyr.jpg

FE55AF5C-FD8A-4F8C-B6E4-9D466C011803_zpsgdlqr5of.jpg

And there you have it

004_zps94fced5e.jpg

SWMBO said it's not only the best jerky I've ever made, it's the best she's ever eaten! I must say, it is good! (Thanks again Bob)

I'll add the oak cubes soaked in Maker's 46 in a couple weeks.

BEDCEDF9-1030-4A12-9949-295D18A2CBAD_zpsvsp9xkho.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks fantastic, I suppose ill have to give it a go when I get my smoker

Thanks for all of your responses everyone

I "set it and forget it" all the time. No reason why you couldn't do that while you're brewing. Even better is to celebrate the end of your brew day with something that you BBQ'd. All the more reason to have plenty of beer in the pipeline...

I "set it and forget it" all the time. No reason why you couldn't do that while you're brewing. Even better is to celebrate the end of your brew day with something that you BBQ'd. All the more reason to have plenty of beer in the pipeline...

Still working on that pipeline, between hours I work, only owning one carboy, and my consumption rate its definitely challenging

I have an old school "Oklahoma Joe" stickburner which requires constant attention to maintain the proper temp. This is not a set it and forget it smoker so I can't brew & smoke simultaneously - especially if I am alone. I do have an electric smoker that I haven't used - so maybe that would work. I also use a Cook Shack electrical smoker at work which does allow me to set it & forget it which is really nice - especially when working in a high volume commercial kitchen. BTW, Cook Shack makes a wonderful product as does Oklahoma Joe. There are several ways to smoke much as there are several ways to brew....

I smoke butts often while brewing using the "snake method" in my 22.5" weber. I feel that brewing and smoking go hand in hand, and nothing like finishing up brew day with some smoked meat and homebrew!

I use an ugly drum smoker or my ceramic egg cooker, both are pretty much set it and forget it. I've brewed and smoked ribs, briskets, turkeys, beer butt chickens, and pork butts.

Now that winter is arriving in West Texas I can now plan a make sausage then cold smoke sausage brew day. The outside temp needs to be about 30deg range to cold smoke the sausage for 4-6 hours, why not brew also. Might throw some cheese in the smoker too while I'm at it.

Got one of these on sale for < $150, love it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...l-Fuel-Smoker-20050412/202904343?N=5yc1vZbx92

I lived in the South 10 years, and the BBQ coming out of this smoker is almost as good as 90% of the wonderful stuff I had in the south. :mug:

Thanks, Cyclman. I suspected that may be a Masterbuilt in your picture. I looked at those at HD and, if I recall correctly, I was under the impression that it had 3 temp settings instead of a constantly variable control. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Do you have any problem dialing in the temp you want?

Thanks, Cyclman. I suspected that may be a Masterbuilt in your picture. I looked at those at HD and, if I recall correctly, I was under the impression that it had 3 temp settings instead of a constantly variable control. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Do you have any problem dialing in the temp you want?

It is variably adjustable, if you keep the water tray full it holds temp awesome.

I smoked a 3 lb chuck roast in my spicy, peppery brisket rub for 2 hours at 250 (used the snake method and apple chips on my Weber kettle), then put it in a pan with beef stock and Worchestershire and covered it in foil until it hit 200, let it rest and had pulled beef over mashed potatoes while I brewed a batch of stout with my brother on my back patio a week or so ago - before Michigan got a case of the winter in its fall.

yup, do both all the time. SWMBO is allergic to smoke (idk how but whatever lol) and she dosen't like the smell of propane on brew day. SOO, I smoke a brisked or pork butt out back and brew in the Garage. Gives me a peaceful day doing 2 things I love since she is trapped in the house on those days. Dick move? maybe, but then I have to listen to it half the time vs doing one one and another another day. In all Honesty, my wife is awesome, just opinionated and not afraid to let you know how she thinks.

This is awesome. building a masonry backyard smoker has been a summer project fantasy for years, but I've never had the perfect design inspiration. But.....offset smoker with brewing station over the coals. That could actually be done. On a more realistic scale, I can never brew in the summer because there isn't enough time, but if I did smoker/brew days and didn't find projects that take me away from the smoke for 5 or 6 hours at a time, I might find more quality all the way around.

Back