Looking for help with blackberry wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufleshufle13

Reaction score
so im trying to make a Blackberry wheat for a friend's uncle. I've never made a wheat beer before so im not sure exactly what it needs to be considered a wheat beer. but i know hes not a beer connoisseur so it doesnt need to be within any strict guide lines. hes basically looking for a nice blackberry session beer with wheat characteristics. with that said it doesn't need to be over complicated.

this is what i have so far.

6.00 lbs of pale 2 row
3.00 lbs of flaked wheat
1.00 lb of munich malt(not sure if it fits but i love the taste of it in small increments)

.50 oz cent hops 60
.25 oz cent hops 30
.25 oz cent hops 0

2 pounds of blackberries (fresh or frozen?) when ever i get around to it in secondary until i feel its ready. i try to keep schedules, but i suck at it sticking to it, so im not gunna set one. but a few concerns were

1. will the malt work together to make a nice easy drinking wheaty body?

2. will the hops and malts work with the black berries, or is there a type of hop that does better in fruit beers?

3. i know its all just opinion, but which would be the best form of black berries to add. no extract.

You probalby want to use a german hop with an AA% under 5% for a wheat beer, especially with fruit. I'd recommend Hallertauer, and just an ounce at 60 minutes. Not sure you want an aroma hop at all with the fruit.

As far as the grain bill goes, most wheat beers are about 50% or more MALTED wheat, and the rest german pilsen. Flaked wheat requires some additional effort to extract the sugars from and is really not meant to be used as a base malt with standard mashing techniques.

i'm not too familiar with wheat period. im guessing, from what you said, to take out flaked wheat all together and scale back the pale. what would you recommend from there.

thanks for the advice so far, yea i had no idea what to do with the hops. that helps a lot. as much as i love hops i have no idea what to do with them if they are not in a pale ale or ipa.

you can go with your 2-1 pale to wheat ratio, that's fine. but make sure to use malted wheat, not flaked and not unmalted. Malted wheat is just simply called wheat (or pale wheat, red wheat, chocolate wheat, etc). If you use more than 50% wheat in your mash, you may want to consider 1/2 pound of rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash.

Sure. And while you're not interested in style, and that's cool...you may want to consider a wheat yeast. google it, i think the dry is fermentis safbrew 06. the liquid is the one that says "wheat". lol.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/pomegranate-wheat-questions-pom-juice-211131/

Here is a link for a Pomegranate Wheat that I recently brewed. The initial tastings are great, and this may accomplish incorporating a similar tartness that you might expect from blueberries. From what I have read, Blueberries are fine in beer, but it is difficult to get their flavor to come through fully, but that is probably very dependent on how much that you add. I look forward to hearing how yours comes out.

Back