Best ginger beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have got my first ever batch of coopers lager brewing at the moment and a friend has asked me to try a ginger beer as the next batch.

Can anyone recommend a decent kit that I could use to try this with? I've seen the coopers kit in the local Big W, had anyone had any success with this kit before?

I made Gnome Extract's Spicy Ginger Beer not too long ago. It's just the extract flavoring so you have to add your own sugar of choice. One thing I'll say about it...it tastes great but it's not the most appetizing appearance-wise. The extract pouch essentially looks similar too but a couple shades lighter than chocolate milk...brown and very opaque. This makes the finished brew look like muddy river water. Just about everyone that's tasted it has liked the flavor, but when I first showed it to them they were like "what the h3ll is that?!?!" I've also made ginger beer using a ginger beer plant (GBP) using sliced fresh ginger, sugar, and some lemon juice. It's good stuff but definitely different than most commercial ginger beers.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm talking about the ginger beer soft drink...not sure if that's what you were thinking.

I made Gnome Extract's Spicy Ginger Beer not too long ago. It's just the extract flavoring so you have to add your own sugar of choice. One thing I'll say about it...it tastes great but it's not the most appetizing appearance-wise. The extract pouch essentially looks similar too but a couple shades lighter than chocolate milk...brown and very opaque. This makes the finished brew look like muddy river water. Just about everyone that's tasted it has liked the flavor, but when I first showed it to them they were like "what the h3ll is that?!?!" I've also made ginger beer using a ginger beer plant (GBP) using sliced fresh ginger, sugar, and some lemon juice. It's good stuff but definitely different than most commercial ginger beers.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm talking about the ginger beer soft drink...not sure if that's what you were thinking.

Thanks for the advice, i will see if we can get that kit here in Australia otherwise it might have to be a internet order job :)

I was actually trying to make something similar to a Crabbies or an alcoholic ginger beer, would that kit work ok if i just add more sugar?

I was actually trying to make something similar to a Crabbies or an alcoholic ginger beer, would that kit work ok if i just add more sugar?

Hmmm, that's a good question. The soft drink recipe calls for about four pounds of sugar per five gallon batch. Seems like a lot so I don't know that you'd need to add more sugar than that. It might be worth doing an experiment and try fermenting a small amount (maybe a couple liters) to see how it goes. I know the Gnome extract had some artificial flavors in it. Could be that it tastes great or it could be that it transforms into a nasty concoction when fully fermented. Only one way to find out and that's to give it a try.

If you really like a ginger drink, try some Stone's Ginger Wine. It's an English drink I
first tried in Jamaica. It is as potent a ginger drink as I can imagine. The base of the
wine is actually currrent I believe.

I **wish*** I could make a good ginger wine! The couple I've tried were not that great!

I have made a good wintergreen wine, though!

Jim.

JaimesBeam said:
If you really like a ginger drink, try some Stone's Ginger Wine. It's an English drink I
first tried in Jamaica. It is as potent a ginger drink as I can imagine. The base of the
wine is actually currrent I believe.

I **wish*** I could make a good ginger wine! The couple I've tried were not that great!

I have made a good wintergreen wine, though!

Jim.

Stones ginger wine is lovely, I'm originally from the UK myself, try mixing two parts stones ginger wine to one part whiskey for a really nice winter warmer, they call it a whiskey mack in the UK.

I am busy with a lager at the moment and added some ginger root as an experiment. I used a few cubes in the boil and have a few in the fermenter. I probably used a bit too much as all I was after was a bit of zest and a crisp tasting lager. A single ginger root in 23L batch produces a fairly pronounced ginger taste. I will have to see what the final bottled product tastes like though.

Back