Just ONE more question, I promise :) (Every NOOBs last words)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
What is a good temp to ferment at with these ale dry yeast packets? Does the recommended temperature refer to ambient room temp or primary temp?

The room where I brew is temperature controlled. The packet said 68-72 F. The room was 70 F and I noticed the primary was 75 F at the 36 hours after pitching.

Most members shared on a previous post of mine and said it was too high and could be contributing to my quick fermentation and fruity smells.

Thanks as always.

One more question?? You'll be doing better than me!

The temperature you want is the actual primary temperature. This usually means that your ambient temperature will need to be slightly lower since fermentation is an exothermic process, hence you noticed your primary warmer than ambient. One thing I have noticed is that the higher the ambient, the easier it is to get a "runaway" fermentation, i.e., the temp will really rise higher than ambient and it's harder to bring it back into control quickly. In the mid 60's it seems like the fermentation temp stays closer to the ambient.

I would say fermentation temperatue would have to be the primary suspect if you're having estery (fruity) beers coupled with quick ferments. Some Belgian styles actually use this phenomenon to their favor, but it's usually considered a defect in many styles. I would try to get your room in the mid to upper 60's range and make sure your wort is at that temperature before pitching - if you pitch in warm-ish wort, while it may be safe for the yeast, it will quickly start generating heat and won't cool down until the main frenzy of fermentation activity is over, i.e., after esters have been generated.

I try to get mine into the mid to lower 60's. It might be a slower ferment time but I think it is better. Try a water bath on the next batch to cool it.

Thanks for the advice.

The lowest I can get the ambient temp in the room is 65-67. I wish I had time to frequently monitor the water bath. I work too much.

Without monitoring, will the water do a better job of reducing the fermentation temp or will it eventually reach ambient temp?

There is no way in hell my wife will take on another "kid" to change the "diaper" on no matter how good the beer is :)

I wouldn't think you would have to monitor it much but one time per day. It will cool the fermentor down pretty quick especially if you add some ice when needed. My carboy stays fairly constant once it reaches the temp. Its worth a try.

Back