Priming a Dubbel with Dark Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMohan13

Reaction score
So it dawned on me that I have some extra belgian dark candi syrup, that I am in all likelihood not going to use in the immediate future, so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to prime a dubbel with it. I imagine i might have to make some calculations based on the fermentability... what about taste? It seems like it would probably change the character of the beer, but i'm not sure if for better or worse. Any opinions? If nothing else I may just try it on a portion of the batch and see how it turns out...

It's not a terrible idea, but it's a rather expensive way to prime beer. Corn sugar is usually about half the price. Dark candi sugar might very slightly richen the flavor of the beer, but I'd stick with corn sugar.

It seems like it would probably change the character of the beer, but i'm not sure if for better or worse.
It might seem like it would, but it won't. The amount of sugar used for priming is insignificant in a 5 gallon batch, it won't change anything.

On the other hand, you don't know exactly how fermentable the candi sugar is, or exactly how much of it to use, so your odds of having undercarbonation or bottle bombs increase significantly.

So, basically, you can do it and add a bunch of risk to your beer for absolutely no gain except aesthetics... personally, I wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back