Building a Zombie Dust clone with Galaxy Hops. First non-kit brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atooraya

Reaction score
Hey all, I just went to the local brew store, and they were all out of Citra hops, so I was given the recommendation of using Galaxy hops. One of the guys recommended this recipe, and getting ready to have friends come over to help brew. What do you think?

.25 Belgian Aromatic
.25 Belgian Biscuit
.25 Honey Malt
1lb Organic 2 Row
6lbs Munton Dry Malt Extract
8oz Galaxy Pellets (Yes I said 8oz)
Wyeast British Ale 1088

Gonna do 100 minute steep of grains, and then a 60 minute boil. 2oz at 30mins, 20 oz at 15 mins, then 2 oz at boil down. Last 2oz of hops during dry hopping.

IMO, and I'm a hophead, way too many hops. You're bittering ratio is at well over 2 IBU/SG. I'd cut the hops in half, then an ounce at 60 minutes, than an ounce at 15, ounce at flameout, and ounce for dry hop. If you find it necessary, you can do two ounces in the dry hop.

IMO, and I'm a hophead, way too many hops. You're bittering ratio is at well over 2 IBU/SG. I'd cut the hops in half, then an ounce at 60 minutes, than an ounce at 15, ounce at flameout, and ounce for dry hop. If you find it necessary, you can do two ounces in the dry hop.
That's what I was thinking too. I was just going to do 5oz, but the guy at the store said "The more the better!"

I don't think he was trying to get me to buy a bunch, seeing an ounce was only $1.75

I would call it just an IPA, as this is really not a clone if you switch out the hops and switch out the grains. It sounds good, but just call it what it is.

Galaxy hops are outstanding! I'm brewing a SMaSH with them tomorrow.

Back