New female brewer from PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannicat

Reaction score
My hsband has been breing since March 2011 (I have helped) but I am brewing my first been this Monday...a Toasted Coconut Brown Ale. I am very excited and if nyone has any tips on making a coconut tea, pleae let me know how to do this. Having a hell of a time finding a recipe.

Thanx A Bunch and Happy Brewing :mug:

That's because coconut sucks!

But welcome! I wont' mind if you ignore my coconut aversion. Do you do AG brewing or extract?

I wonder if you could simply rack your beer into secondary with shredded coconut in it...

Hi and welcome! I recently made a coconut brown, and I roasted one package of Bakers Flaked Coconut and put it in the last 10 mins of the boil. It left some oil on the surface of my beer in the primary, so I racked it to a secondary after 2 weeks. A little oil transfered to the secondary as well, so when I racked to the bottle bucket I made sure to leave as much behind as possible. I also put some cheese cloth (sanitized with starsan) on the tip of my auto-siphon to help filter the beer when I racked both times. After 4 weeks in the bottle, it tastes great. The beer has a great coconut flavor, and it pours nice and clear....

I original was going to make a coconut Brown. Have you tried Kona Brewing Company Coconut Brown?!?! Delicious! But now I'm brewing a coconut porter. The recipe I'm following is found on this forum.

Kona Koko Brown is what started this whole ball rolling...brewing it tomorrow~!!! I was "practicing" toasted the flaked coconut today and found th oven metho works best. Put it on a cookie sheet in a 350* oven and every 3 minutes, turned it. Did this about 4-5 times with it coming out a beautiful brown toasty flavor~!!!

On Saturday, I just toasted another pound of unsweetened coconut chips and added them to the secondary and racked it over. Got a little crazy in there and kept getting backlogged with brew (I guess the gasses were escaping from the coconut). This coconut will add the aroma (I believe), because it smells FANTASTIC~!!! Bottling in 2 weeks...

Kona Koko Brown is what started this whole ball rolling...brewing it tomorrow~!!! I was "practicing" toasted the flaked coconut today and found th oven metho works best. Put it on a cookie sheet in a 350* oven and every 3 minutes, turned it. Did this about 4-5 times with it coming out a beautiful brown toasty flavor~!!!

I had this during my wedding last April and then found it on tap at a bar near my house last week. They ran out before I could fill my growler though. :(

Let me know how your brew turns out and I will definitely plan to make it later this summer!

I had this during my wedding last April and then found it on tap at a bar near my house last week. They ran out before I could fill my growler though. :(

Let me know how your brew turns out and I will definitely plan to make it later this summer!

It turned out absolutely DELICIOUS~!!! If anyone is interested, I will post the recipe :mug:

Back