Keggle conversion. Fair deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkdiesel

Reaction score
I met a guy who will put a sight glass, thermometer, ball valve and false bottom on my keg (which already has top cut) for $165. He buys all the parts. Is this a fair price?

Is he going to do welds? If they are sanitary it's worth it. Maybe so if not. I know weldless bulkheads cost at least $20-30, a stainless valve may be like $15, a thermometer cost maybe $30 and i haven't priced a sight glass.

Assuming all stainless:

3 bulkheads - $60-$90
Thermometer- $30
Valve - $15
Nipple, hose fitting - $7
sight glass ~ $30?
false bottom ~ $30

Just an approximation off the top of my head, it's probably in the ball park.

therm-sight combo from brew hardware (weldless though) is 43 bucks. ball valve is 7 bucks. the SS false bottoms run 50 bucks and up depending on dip-tube options and such. so roughly 100+ for the parts which means 65- for the labor.

i'm not sure how much welding generally costs, but that seems like it is a fair price to me. i wold make sure you know for certain what parts he's buying (so you don't get crap), and that he knows how to do good welds.

Throw in a sixer and ask him to come down on the price a bit. It may work or it may not but it's worth a try!

and like others said make sure he know how to make the proper welds.

Latest posts

Back