Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Sanke keg, which has a thermometer and dip tube about 2" (in the center) from the beginning of the curve at the bottom of the keg. The dip tube goes off and to the side of the kettle. Ideally, I would like the dip tube to stay where it is, and the stand to bring the false bottom up just above the welded couplers (I would say 2.5"). It's either that or I use one of your hop stoppers, since it won't need to cover the whole bottom. What do you recommend?

This is going to be used with a pump and plate chiller, so it will be whole leaf hops, or pellets in a bag.

-Mike
Mike
Does your dip tube come out using a compression fitting? If so why not just use the 15" hinged? I can drill the hole where ever you want. All you would have to do is let me know how far off the side wall the end of your diptube is and I drill the hole there.
Jay

Yes it does. I guess that would work, but will I run the risk of scorching if the FB sits all that way at the bottom? This is fo a BK.

-Mike

Jaybird,

Can you give me a better idea about whether the above will work with my 15.5 gal Sanke? If the FB is on the bottom, without a stand, is it possible to scorch? If scorching is most likely not going to be an issue, as hops/trub won't be down there until I start cooling, then how fast can you get one to Maryland (20874) using your standard shipping?

Would a hop stopper possibly work as well? I use a lot of hops, so it would make a pretty nice filter too.

Sounds like you need the Hopstopper FB. It was designed to be use in the BK. It works great and there is no scorching. I'm not sure why it would scotch in the Bk anyway.

I use the Hopstopper FB. It has almost 50% more surface area than a standard 12" FB. But if you have room to go with the 15" FB then go for it. I realized I had a hop problem well after my rig was built and temp sensors, whirlpool ports, and dip tubes were in the way. For me the Hopstopper was the answer.

hey Jaybird, i am building a all grain single teir. almost done. i have 3 kegs. my bk is a 15G my Mash tun is a 50L tank as well as my HLT. i need some grain and hop blocking stuff, what do you have for me? i live in SF and will be up in redding next week so we can talk there as well. hows that new hop blocker coming? let me know

Jaybird,

Can you give me a better idea about whether the above will work with my 15.5 gal Sanke? If the FB is on the bottom, without a stand, is it possible to scorch? If scorching is most likely not going to be an issue, as hops/trub won't be down there until I start cooling, then how fast can you get one to Maryland (20874) using your standard shipping?

Would a hop stopper possibly work as well? I use a lot of hops, so it would make a pretty nice filter too.
I think the 15" would be your best bet. There is going to be about 2.5" of dead space under the FB for liquid. I dont see any reason why you would scorch anything. A lot of people use the 15" hinged for a boil kettle.
From the time you order about 4-6 days
Jay

hey Jaybird, i am building a all grain single teir. almost done. i have 3 kegs. my bk is a 15G my Mash tun is a 50L tank as well as my HLT. i need some grain and hop blocking stuff, what do you have for me? i live in SF and will be up in redding next week so we can talk there as well. hows that new hop blocker coming? let me know
Shooting you a PM lets chat about what you want before you come up, so I can have it build for you.
Jay

I think the 15" would be your best bet. There is going to be about 2.5" of dead space under the FB for liquid. I dont see any reason why you would scorch anything. A lot of people use the 15" hinged for a boil kettle.
From the time you order about 4-6 days
Jay

Shooting you a PM lets chat about what you want before you come up, so I can have it build for you.
Jay

Do you have any expedited shipping services? What is the premium for the service?

Do you have any expedited shipping services? What is the premium for the service?

Most FB orders go out within 2-3 days. There are time that I am not back logged like right now. most are going out right now next day. But I may get 10 orders tonight for custom stuff... I build most everything custom for your application. That said, I ran out of stainless compression fittings Thursday and wont see any till this Friday ( I am crossing my fingers)

So... I have got a few PM's in the last day or so asking if I will offer another free shipping sale on the 15" hinged false bottom.

So... This is what I am willing to offer.....(I do listen) Until May 1st or I sell 20, 15" hinged false bottoms "with a handle", what ever comes first.

So here is the deal.... you MUST add a handle to the false bottom and pay with PayPal to get the free shipping. I lowered the price on the handle from $9.99 to $7.99 and it is well worth the $$$$.
PM me for details on how I can set you up on my site for free shipping.
So there you go...Let the countdown begin...
Cheers
Jay

So... I have got a few PM's in the last day or so asking if I will offer another free shipping sale on the 15" hinged false bottom.

So... This is what I am willing to offer.....(I do listen) Until May 1st or I sell 20, 15" hinged false bottoms "with a handle", what ever comes first.

So here is the deal.... you MUST add a handle to the false bottom and pay with PayPal to get the free shipping. I lowered the price on the handle from $9.99 to $7.99 and it is well worth the $$$$.
Cheers
Jay

Update...
5 have taken advantage of the free shipping offer so far....
Thanks for the orders.
Jay

I'll take one ....... Just gotta check a few things on my keggle first. Mainly diptube location so I know where I need the hole. I am guessing center but just want to check before purchasing.

I am guessing I will need 15" hinged for keggle use?

I'll take one ....... Just gotta check a few things on my keggle first. Mainly diptube location so I know where I need the hole. I am guessing center but just want to check before purchasing.

I am guessing I will need 15" hinged for keggle use?

Just let me know when and I will put it together for you . Yep the 15" hinged is the best for the keggle.
Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

9 and counting..
Thanks for the orders guys!!! WOW who woud have thought???
I'm gonna be a busy boy tomorrow....

I tried to email you but can't. Comes up blank. Looking for a price for 14", with feet and handle. The feet need to be little less than 2". Also how does this style prevent hops from sneaking around the edges and clogging the whole thing? Perhaps a scrubby on the dip tube as well? My valve is very close to the bottom as is my dip tube so even the smallest stuff clog it. I guess I could reconfigure the dip tube but I do love to get the last drop. Please PM me a quote w/ shipping. live Balto Md 21228 Thanks Charlie

Cheers
Jay

15 gone for the free shipping offer.......
Thanks for all the orders guys/Gals. All have been shipped as of this afternoon. 5 left, PM me.... These are built and ready to ship..
Cheers
Jay

I received my two 15" hinged and handled false bottoms and weldless conversions the other day and did the first batch with them! They are amazing! Just like everyone else has been saying.

Jay was awesome to deal with too. He made up a custom order for me and shipped it the way I wanted to Canada even though there wasn't an option on his website.

Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the positive feed back!
Thanks for all the orders of the 15" hinged false bottoms with handle. We will be offering another Free shipping deal in the months to come.
There is 1 day left for this one, so if you want to save the 9.95 flat rate shipping on my site go PM me for details.
Look @ post 451 in this thread.
Cheers
Jay

Question for those who are using the hinged 15" falsebottom in a keggle.

1) Do you need the stand? What type of grain weight capacity does the false bottom have with/without the stand?

2) How necessary is the handle? Does it get in the way of stirring?
Would a wire handle that can fall back down into the hole would work just as well?

I don't have the stand. I've put 30+ pounds of grain on top the FB in my mash tun. I haven't had any issue with the handle.

I only brew 10 gallon batches so 30 lb grainbills are the norm and I don't have the stands and have had no deflection. I also don't have the handle but wish I did just to make it's bit easier to remove and to hang up to dry.

1) Do you need the stand? What type of grain weight capacity does the false bottom have with/without the stand?

Would a wire handle that can fall back down into the hole would work just as well?

1 In a keggle you don't need a stand. The False Bottoms for a mash tun can handle more grain than you can put on it. The stands ar for flat bottom kettles.

2. The handle does make getting it in and out of the kettle a whole lot easier. Get in the way? will you have a diptube? If so, it will not be in the way any more than the diptube. I have several customers in the store who opted not to get the handle then return after a few batches and ask me to weld one on for them.

Cheers
Jay

Word of advice: get the FB from Jay with the handle. You won't regret it.

Couldn't be happier with mine, 200+ gallons of successful brews on my FB from Jay. And no, I'm not being paid to say that.

Word of advice: get the FB from Jay with the handle. You won't regret it.

Couldn't be happier with mine, 200+ gallons of successful brews on my FB from Jay. And no, I'm not being paid to say that.

Tiber_Brew ***Psst.. Your scrilla is in the mail***.:cross:
200+ gallons??? NICE.
Yes most like the handle, I will say. I did lower the price from $9.99 to $7.99. I was able to find a better deal on the material.
So a better deal you guys get. :D
Cheers
Jay

Another satisfied hinged handled 15" false bottom owner here. There are other options out there, but nowhere else will your money take you this far.

I mashed 10 lbs of wheat malt with 2 lbs of flaked wheat and less than 5 lbs of barley and only a lb of rice hulls. I feel like that sticky mess really pushed the boundaries of this false bottoms lautering capability, but with a slow sparge it still made beer with a higher than expected OG. Prepare to scale back your recipes, I haven't been under any estimated OG since I started brewing on this thing.

+1 on the handle. Got one with mine and it's very handy (ignore the pun). :)

Haha, the pun made the sale. Looks like I will be going for the handle option without a stand. Unless I can find a nice way of sealing a 15" hole in the keggle during the mash, I will be getting a 15" folding.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Haha, the pun made the sale. Looks like I will be going for the handle option without a stand. Unless I can find a nice way of sealing a 15" hole in the keggle during the mash, I will be getting a 15" folding.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

You know what...

Lets do a "FREE HANDLE GIVEAWAY"

For the rest of MAY.... All false bottoms with an added handle get the handle free!
All you have to do is leave me a note in the comments @ checkout that you want the FREE handle and I will weld it on there for you for FREE....
or feel free to PM me here too

You guys ROCK!!
Cheers
Jay

You know what...

Lets do a "FREE HANDLE GIVEAWAY"

For the rest of MAY.... All false bottoms with an added handle get the handle free!
All you have to do is leave me a note in the comments @ checkout that you want the FREE handle and I will weld it on there for you for FREE....
or feel free to PM me here too

You guys ROCK!!
Cheers
Jay

2 days left on the free handle giveaway for May!

Thanks again guys/gals for all the orders.

Cheers
Jay

Received my 15" false bottom and pick up tube this weekend and it all fits and looks great. Can't wait to use it for the first time on Saturday!

Interested in a FB for my rectangular cooler mash tun to place over the copper manifold thick enough guage to not colapse under the weight of 25 lbs of grain. What guage/thickness perforation hole size and spacing are your false bottoms ?? Might be interested in a custom, if you do that sort of thing .

Thanks to Jaybird for donating the hinged false bottom for the 2nd place BOS in the HBT BJCP contest! Very well made and heavy duty. He gave me free custom engraving on the handle as part of the prize...

3999-dsc02482.jpg

Seemed appropriate, as one of my favorite activities and TV shows.

3996-dsc02485.jpg

I'm thinking I could use it either in the mash tun, or in the bottom of my keggle to screen out whole hops. Looks like it would work well either way.

Interested in a FB for my rectangular cooler mash tun to place over the copper manifold thick enough guage to not colapse under the weight of 25 lbs of grain. What guage/thickness perforation hole size and spacing are your false bottoms ?? Might be interested in a custom, if you do that sort of thing .
You bet! What is the measurements?

Thanks to Jaybird for donating the hinged false bottom for the 2nd place BOS in the HBT BJCP contest! Very well made and heavy duty. He gave me free custom engraving on the handle as part of the prize...

3999-dsc02482.jpg

Seemed appropriate, as one of my favorite activities and TV shows.

3996-dsc02485.jpg

I'm thinking I could use it either in the mash tun, or in the bottom of my keggle to screen out whole hops. Looks like it would work well either way.
Looks good! Congrats on the win!! I was wondering what the M*A*S*H was all about... Yes I use the 15" in my boil as well as the mash tun! Works killer!!
Cheers
Jay

Just want to thank everyone that got in on the free shipping in April And the free handle giveaway in May! You guys are the best! You sure kept me busy! Keep an eye on the website, its changing daily!

I have a few really killer things in the making at the moment. More to come on that later.

So lets see em' in the kettles guys I want to see picts!!

Cheers
Jay

Wow....Just got my FB from Jaybird....great quality!!

Plus he's a great guy....all in all this can't be beat.

Back