US-05 slurry in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gallon batch of cider using trader joes apple juice. Just wanted to do a small batch to test things out and I have plenty of 05 slurry on hand. How much slurry should I use? I use slurry all the time for beer - would I use the same ratio as always (check OG and use a calculator)? Also, I know 05 isn't a typical cider yeast, but will it work good enough? I'm cheap and I have some, seems better than buying a whole packet and not using most of it.

FWIW, I plan to keep this simple- juice+yeast, no additives or additional sweetening.

05 slurry will work fine. If I remember correctly 3 or 4 oz of slurry is about right. I'm a big 05 fan. Well maybe not a big fan... But a tall one anyway. At 5'18" 05 has never let me down.

05 slurry will work fine. If I remember correctly 3 or 4 oz of slurry is about right. I'm a big 05 fan. Well maybe not a big fan... But a tall one anyway. At 5'18" 05 has never let me down.

Thanks for the response. 3 or 4 oz of slurry per gallon? Again, this will be only a 1 gallon batch. It's my first cider and I'm starting off small and simple.

Do a 5 gallon batch...that way you can let some bulk age and you won't run out of cider so fast.

US-05 is my second favorite cider yeast of all time. And I have tried probably a dozen different yeasts over the years. You're going to love it. How much to use? A little dab'll do ya. I use one pack per 3-5 gallons and it works great. Just pitch at the standard rate and you'll have more than enough.

US-05 is my second favorite cider yeast of all time. And I have tried probably a dozen different yeasts over the years. You're going to love it. How much to use? A little dab'll do ya. I use one pack per 3-5 gallons and it works great. Just pitch at the standard rate and you'll have more than enough.

Thanks!

Now that I'm thinking about it... I think the 3 oz slurry was for 5 gal.

Back