WLP002 for hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just tapped my keg of hard cider made with WLP002 English Ale Yeast and damn, it is the best cider I have made yet. Yummy and sweet enough it does not need back sweetened. :mug:

I use this exclusively after trying some others. It was an easy decision. Tried s04, notty, and some cider yeasts... definitely 002 was preferred every time.

I just tapped my keg of hard cider made with WLP002 English Ale Yeast and damn, it is the best cider I have made yet. Yummy and sweet enough it does not need back sweetened. :mug:
Curious if WLP002 is still ur go to Ale yeast for cider? It's one that I'd like to try....and compare to couple I have used...Wyeast 1272 & S-04

Cheers!

I'm going to give this a try, I was planning on using Nottinham Ale Yeast but accidently used that on a Porter and now have a WLP-002 left over. Don't rush your brew day, lol.

I really cant speak to cider, but with beer brewing 1272, to me, is the best, most innocuous flavor enhancing yeast. I am intrigued by the premise of using if for cider. I have Cotes de Blanc as well as 1272 and they are going into 1 gallon carboys of home grown apple juice side by side soon so I will have something to compare.

How does that compare to White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast? I have been using the WLP775 for about 7 out of 10 batches that I have made and I like it a lot.

Larry
Toxic Cellar

What was your cider recipe btw?

Were you asking me? When i read this the other day i was thinking you were asking "btw" for a recipe. Lol today i just looked back and seen nobody has a handle of "btw"
So i assume it was directed to me. My first batch of cider was put into fermentor on 11/5/17 and my tenth batch of a home brew started frementation 9/24/18 most have been a apple cider, one was hard limonaid & tee (Hard Arnold Palmer) but as for recipe i have never used the same recipe twice, YET. I may try to duplicate one of old batches soon.

Back