Aquarium Sealant in mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblee50

Reaction score
I just put together a mashtun from an old plastic cooler. I've got a small seepage around a rubber stopper I'm using to support a sight gauge I can't seem to stop. I am reluctant to use any sealant but don't want wort getting in between the cooler. I have some aquarium sealant but don't know if it will leach anything at the mash temps. Does anyone have any info on a safe sealant for this type of use?

I use silicon sealant which works well in that it stopped the leak and doesn't get affected by the heat. As frar as I know it's safe (but then I don't know much). FWIW, I have been using it for over 10 years and am still alive and have no health problems that could be related to silicon poinoning.

I would be worried about an aquarium sealent being affected by the temperature. Perhaps a phone call to the manufacturers could put your mind to rest on both counts.

-a.

Drill a clearance hole in the outer skin of the cooler and tighten the spigot up against the inner surface alone. As you arent tightening up against two independantly flexing surfaces it will seal easily without the need for sealant.
Cool2.jpg

MTun.jpg

Back