My tweaks on Brewers Best Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman3278

Reaction score
Last months brewing was a busy one for me, the holidays and parties kept this Chef busy like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I was king around some ideas for party odurves when it hit me, "POW" !

While a red ale was in fermentation i decided to put some zing to it and here is what happened.

First I zested three seedless navel oranges that i soaked in anti-fungal solution for five minutes. They yeilded 1 cup/3.5 oz wt.
Next was extraction of the oils for a week @ 85 deg. farenhieght for seven days in 1 cup/8 oz. liquid vol. of vodka. I used a mason jar that provided about an inch of head space as to not loose too much aroma to air.
Last was to pasturize the orange extract in 2 cups/16 oz. liquid vol. of h20 for 15 min @ boil. Well 1 packed cup of brown surgar jumped in for a swim for five minutes then flame out. Placed in a ice bath till it reached an equal temp to fermenting wort and added it in. There was a party in my airlock for a couple of days then racked to secondary for seven days and then kegged with priming surgar.
Well after two weeks in the kegg, I sampled it and what to my suprise, it on spot refreshing and the hint of citrus was working well with the carmel malt 60and black patent to aid in complexity and drinkability. The cascade hops still came thru clean and crisp.
This was no means an attempt at a citrus belgin or micro brew clone, I just wanted to Home Brew.

Happy New Year to all,
Cheers.:mug:

On spot you say, do you mean it tased like you expected. What was the gravity before you added the the "tweak"?

Back