How much liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
Hey I'm making my next ale with Coopers Real Ale and 3 lbs. DME. I am going to try Wyeast liquid yeast for the first time. The one I was going to use was the Northwest Ale Activator. I just wanted to know if I should use just one packet or two of the Wyeast. I'm in the process of searching the forum for when a yeast starter is needed but I wanted to place my order tonight. Just wanted to know if this yeast requires a starter or not. Thanks!

Joe

RiversC174 said:
I'm in the process of searching the forum for when a yeast starter is needed but I wanted to place my order tonight. Just wanted to know if this yeast requires a starter or not. Thanks!

Joe

One packet of Wyeast, definitely.

A starter is more a nice convenience than a necessity. The Wyeast smack pack actually *is* a small starter, in fact: when you "smack" it, you release a small amount of wort in to mix with the yeast.

I always activate the yeast pack 3-4 days before I expect to brew, then make a starter when it's good and plump. If the starter reaches the high kreusen stage before I'm ready to brew, I put it in the fridge. I find this a little easier than pitching straight from the smack pack, because you're never quite sure how long it's going to take to activate.

But I have pitched the Wyeast straight from the smack pack before--it works. You'll just get a faster start with a starter: a fast start is good because the sooner the yeasties get rolling, the less chance there is for the nasties to take hold, and the less you worry.

Just a quick note, while the pack of nutrients in the Wyeast smack packs are enough to help "wake up" the yeast, Wyeast themselves have noted that there isn't enough there to make an impact on your cell count, so a starter is the way to go if you're looking to strengthen your yeast brigade.

Though, as cweston notes, you can pitch right from the smack pack, which is what I did the first time I ever used liquid yeast. The beer turned out fine.

Back