Is this infected - (picture link)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
This is my first shot at a lager. I am super anal with sanatation, and have yet to have any problems with other batches. But this one just doesn't seem to look right. The white stuff on the surface to me looks like mold. But I don't know if lager yeasts end up with different looking end results or not.

Its time to rack to secondary and I don't want to waste the time if its infected by something.

Take a look and give me an honest opinion!

Thank you very much!

http://i32.tinypic.com/347th5u.jpg

Looks like bubbles and remnants of krausen to me. How long has it been in the primary? If you are racking to the secondary, you have taken at hydrometer sample, right? How did it taste at that point? That is one of the best indicators of infection (off taste).

As Beerific said, you should taste to be sure, but from that picture i don't think the batch is infected

As Beerific said, you should taste to be sure, but from that picture i don't think the batch is infected

Its been in the primary 4 weeks. Its one of those batches where I got busy. I wanted to do a diacetyl rest and kind of was forced into one as the GFI for the freezers outlet got tripped by our past storm. (I think water gets to the other outdoor ones and flips the GFI when it rains bad, not sure.) But anyhow I didn't know it and the temps raised from 48ish to 60'F and im guessing (hoping) it has only been 24 hours!

And no I didn't take a reading yet, going to tonight. I am guessing it has to be fermented out by now.

Figured if that was mold on the top to just toss it and not mess with this one anymore. :p

Looks like bubbles and remnants of krausen to me. How long has it been in the primary? If you are racking to the secondary, you have taken at hydrometer sample, right? How did it taste at that point? That is one of the best indicators of infection (off taste).

+1

You are fine. Looks like CO2 bubbles & foam plus kreuzen.

Back