Help...Quick!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm taking a lonely road trip this weekend for business (6 hours each way) by myself. Boring drive, mostly on I-95. So I need a really exciting, thriller-type audiobook for my iPod. Gotta DL it today, so that's why I need help quick. International espionage perhaps? I've thought about the Bourne books simply because I've heard that the books resemble the movies in name only. I DL'd Hitchens' God Is Not Great already, but I don't think I can take that much nonfiction. And I'm not looking for anything with too much mind-crunching baggage. I'm reading the paper version of Atlas Shrugged right now, so I can't take another Ayn Rand-ian kind of deal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Just listened to Pray by Crichton ... wasn't bad, got boring in a couple parts and was pretty easy to figure out right away, but was a decent listen.

speaking of...1408 was a great movie, sure the book was better, might be an idea

Going to the NC Coast. Morehead City. Animal Control conference. The boss and our marketing director are flying down on Monday morning in his Cessna, but I have to leave early so I'm going alone.

1408? Whatsitabout?

Evan! said:
1408? Whatsitabout?

Based on the short Stephen King horror story of the same name, 1408 is about supernatural writer Mike Enslin, an author of two successful books on supernatural phenomena. As research for his latest book, Enslin is determined to check out the notorious room 1408 in a New York City hotel by personally staying as a guest in the fabled room. He believes that 1408 is just a myth perpetuated by stories and rumors that Enslin has collected for his past works. However, hotel manager Mr. Olin has strong objections to Enslin's stay and only warns him of possible danger to come. Enslin is determined to go anyway. But what Mike Enslin is about to experience is no myth, as 1408 truly is a room where the guests don't check out by noon.

Speaking of which...if anyone out there is along I-95 between Richmond, VA and Willis, NC, or anywhere along 70 between Kinston & Morehead City, and would like to grab a beer on Sunday afternoon...lemme know.

If you're a fan of Chuck Palahniuk at all, I'd suggest "Survivor". It's a fantastic book. Not sure if you can get it on audio, but it would be worth looking.

shunoshi said:
If you're a fan of Chuck Palahniuk at all, I'd suggest "Survivor". It's a fantastic book. Not sure if you can get it on audio, but it would be worth looking.

I saw fight club but have never read any of his stuff. I can get Survivor. What is it about, and how does it really play out? Sounds like a bunch of head-game stuff, kind of like Fight Club.

Evan! said:
I saw fight club but have never read any of his stuff. I can get Survivor. What is it about, and how does it really play out? Sounds like a bunch of head-game stuff, kind of like Fight Club.

It is a head game style book (all of his are), but not in the same sense as Fight Club. It's really hard to explain what the book is about, but like Fight Club, it starts at the end with the main character in a commercial airliner that he hijacked.

Here's a short synopsis from wikipedia without giving away anything:

"A satire of commercial culture, it is the story of Tender Branson, a member of the Creedish Church, a death cult. In it, every member learns how to be a servant for the human race—most of them are butlers and maids—and fear most human pleasures. They await a sign from God to tell them to deliver themselves unto Him, that is, commit suicide. The sign finally comes, and a good ten years later, Tender becomes the last surviving member of the cult. He's thrown into mainstream culture and becomes a personal icon for many people."

He basically becomes a sort of "modern day televangelistic prophet".

It's my favorite Palahniuk book to date and I give it a big "two thumbs up"! :D

EDIT: As a side note, this book will be the second film adaptation of one of Palahniuk's books. I think they've already begun preproduction on it.

cigarettes. I don't smoke any more, but anytime I have a long road trip, I buy a pack. Best way to deal with the road and traffic.

Bourne books are flipping awesome, FYI

I think you traveled back in time to 1997, when people still had angelfire and geocities pages, olllllo...yep, time travel.

geocities.com/kfcjan1/dave_dudley_six_days_on_the_road.mp3
angelfire.com/ny5/truckers_wife/red_simpson_i_got_a_beaver_on_my_lap_and_a_bear_on_my_tail.mp3
geocities.com/kfcjan/red_sovine_18_wheels_a_hummin_home_sweet_home.mp3
geocities.com/kfcjan4/cw_mccall_convoy.mp3

Cut and paste 'em

98EXL said:
Based on the short Stephen King horror story of the same name, 1408 is about supernatural writer Mike Enslin, an author of two successful books on supernatural phenomena. As research for his latest book, Enslin is determined to check out the notorious room 1408 in a New York City hotel by personally staying as a guest in the fabled room. He believes that 1408 is just a myth perpetuated by stories and rumors that Enslin has collected for his past works. However, hotel manager Mr. Olin has strong objections to Enslin's stay and only warns him of possible danger to come. Enslin is determined to go anyway. But what Mike Enslin is about to experience is no myth, as 1408 truly is a room where the guests don't check out by noon.

Wow...strange thing....I read this just night before last. Picked up SK's book "everythings Eventual" 14 short stories.

good read

Latest posts

Back