1/2" Coupling hole size needed ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.....logic would say that a 1 1/8" hole for a 1/2" coupling would be like the proverbial "hotdog down a hallway."

Unless you are talking about something different, the hole needed to install a 1/2" coupling in a keg is slightly larger than 13/16". Most people buy a 7/8" step bit, drill the hole down to the 13/16" step, then smooth/debur the hole to get the proper size.

Here's some detailed instructions:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7

Having the 1/2 couplings welded in to my Keggle. I drilled a 7/8 hole and its to small ?

Hmmmm.....logic would say that a 1 1/8" hole for a 1/2" coupling would be like the proverbial "hotdog down a hallway."

Unless you are talking about something different, the hole needed to install a 1/2" coupling in a keg is slightly larger than 13/16". Most people buy a 7/8" step bit, drill the hole down to the 13/16" step, then smooth/debur the hole to get the proper size.

Here's some detailed instructions:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7

The link is for a 1/2 NPT Nipple OD , I'm looking for a 1/2 NPT Coupling OD hole size

The short answer is it depends.

The outer diameter of a coupling varies on the vendor / manufacturer.
Fully machined shiny couplings are smaller than non machined cast finished coupling.

Its always best to get a measurement of the coupling that will be used.

The 1-3/8" Step bit will allow you to drill the hole but you really should measure the OD of the coupling being welded before drilling.

The short answer is it depends.

The outer diameter of a coupling varies on the vendor / manufacturer.
Fully machined shiny couplings are smaller than non machined cast finished coupling.

Its always best to get a measurement of the coupling that will be used.

The 1-3/8" Step bit will allow you to drill the hole but you really should measure the OD of the coupling being welded before drilling.

Thank you very much ! You still need to ship to your Canadian friends :)

Back