Belgian Witbier...soured...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKissell

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Belgian Witbier or Whitebeer, after letting it ferment I prepped to bottle it. When I opened the carboy and took a sample, the SG read around 1.012... Everything seemed to be going fairly well until I went to smell and taste the beer. Holy jesus it was sour. So I come to you was it supposed to be sour and i jus dumped it for no reason, or was I correct that somewhere along the way something was either contaminated or the airlock wasn't secure?

wits shouldn't be sour. i think you are right about contamination. i've just popped another keg of wit myself ( 1 of my favorite types ), and sour isn't in the description anywhere. sounds like wild yeast snuck in

I used acidulated malt in my last wit. I think sour works very well with the flavors the wheat lends to the beer.

I think you dumped it for no reason. Sometimes when my batches are fresh they have a undesirable sourness (when not using acidulated malt) and it goes away in about three weeks by the time it's carbed up.

Latest posts

Back