sanding PVC pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
I made a dip tube for my bottling bucket out of a 90 degree PVC elbow (3/4 inch).
I used a hacksaw an took off around 1/4 of an inch, but I still have somewhat jagged edges.
How do I smooth them down?
What type of sand paper, or is there something else to use?

This may have been dumb, but I used concrete as sandpaper. Id did a good job of wearing down the bumps, but not there is dirt embedded in it. I am soaking it in Chlorine, but wonder if its no longer safe for bottling, as the dirt may contaminate the beer, even if it soaks for a week in Chlorine solution

Mods - if this is not the appropriate forum, please move it to where it should go.

Standard sandpaper works great on PVC. Start coarse and work to fine if you want a near polished finish. Power sanders work also but you have to be careful. They take a lot of material off in a hurry!

Hi

The "right" cement for PVC is actually a solvent. It melts the PVC and you get a solvent weld when you put the parts together. Bottom line - the glue melts the fuzzy little things. No need to sand them if a connector is involved. If not, just put some PVC cement on it. Anything you do to sand / grind / chew down the end can leave particles behind.

Bob

Also shouldn't you be using CPVC? I didn't think pvc was potable

PVC is potable, it's for lower temperatures. CPVC was designed for hot water.

(it better be potable - my city water is 1" PVC to my slab, not CPVC)

Back