thin meade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made 6 gallons of meade with 12 pounds of honey... clearly not enough, it tastes watered...... can I add more honey to get it going again? Or am I just stuck with thin mead? Ho much should I add?

Thanks

12lb of honey for a 6 gal batch will yield a dry mead. The yeast strain is also important; a highly attenuative strain will create a dry mead that has less body, while a lower attenating strain will leave some body and sweetness in the final mead. Get your hands on some potassium sorbate, it is a chemical that inhibits fermentation and allows the mazer to backsweeten. Once primary fermentation is complete you can add about 1/4tsp per gallon of mead, let the mead sit for a week and then add some honey to sweeten the mead up and add some body. Please note that the potassium sorbate will not stop an active fermentation, it will only prevent the mead from starting to ferment again, so you have to wait until the mead has finished fermenting before adding it.

Thanks! Its been done for a while, I was letting it age, and its so watery! I will add more And I have the potassium, thanks alot!

the methlegin I have at the moment tasted very thin coming out of primary, at which point I added 3 vanilla beans because I read that vanilla will enhance other flavors in mead. After about a month in secondary I tasted the mead in question and the honey flavor had reappeared and the body of the mead was back as well.

Back