Kegged my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
So I kegged it and I don't drink it as fast as beer and want to make room for more beer. If I bottle it will it create bottle bombs? I force carbed it rather than using sugar.

Depends. Is it a dry cider or is there residual sugar? If sweet, did you stabilize with sulfites & sorbate or are you keeping it cold to prevent fermentation?

Oh course, the simple answer is to just drink more or invite some buddies over to have a few :mug:

LeBreton said:
Depends. Is it a dry cider or is there residual sugar? If sweet, did you stabilize with sulfites & sorbate or are you keeping it cold to prevent fermentation?

Oh course, the simple answer is to just drink more or invite some buddies over to have a few :mug:

It's dry, I back sweetened it with Splenda to hopefully prevent bombs.

But yea having people over is the best idea haha

It should be OK. For the 2 batches of cider I've made I primary for many weeks until the gravity is doesn't move (like 1.008). Then I cold crash it by leaving it overnight on my porch, in the morning I put it into secondary with sulfites & sorbate and I just leave it out in the cold for a few more days. Then I put it into a keg and back sweeten with frozen apple juice and whatever else I was doing (brown sugar, etc.) Then it carbs up in my fridge (forced C02) and I bottle it all out after a week or so. Never had a bottle bomb.

sniperd said:
It should be OK. For the 2 batches of cider I've made I primary for many weeks until the gravity is doesn't move (like 1.008). Then I cold crash it by leaving it overnight on my porch, in the morning I put it into secondary with sulfites & sorbate and I just leave it out in the cold for a few more days. Then I put it into a keg and back sweeten with frozen apple juice and whatever else I was doing (brown sugar, etc.) Then it carbs up in my fridge (forced C02) and I bottle it all out after a week or so. Never had a bottle bomb.

Thanks ill give it a whirl soon

If it's dry except for splenda then it's safe to bottle, as there's nothing left to ferment. Sulfite & sorbate can definitely give some piece of mind though.

Back