WLP810 warm start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmBoost

Reaction score
Hi,

I just made a batch of an Anchor Steam clone.
From the boil kettle, through my plate chiller and into my fermentor I got it down to 34 degrees celsius (93F) which was obviously to warm to pitch the yeast.
This was late in the evening, so I placed the fermentor in my fermenting fridge and went to sleep.
The next morning (some 6 hours later) it was down to 24C (75F) so I decided to pitch the yeast before heading out for the day.
I pitched the decanted starter I had made (which held room temperature) and went to work.
When I got home the airlock was bubbling fiercly and the fridge sat at 18C (64F.) It is now at a steady 15C (59F) with a distinct sulphuric aroma in the room.

Can you share some insight on what the warm start will do to my beer? Will there be a lot of fruity flavours?
Can I reduce esters/fusels/fruity flavours by lagering it for a longer period of time?

Thanks,

Christian

Back