What caused this flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don223

Reaction score
So on 9/18/2011 I brewed the Phat Tyre "clone" from Northern Brewer. Followed directions exactly except for only doing a primary for 4 weeks and then into a keg.

After 5 weeks or so carbed in the fridge, I keep getting this sour taste from this beer. It smells good and tastes good but the aftertaste hits you on the sides of your tongue - where you taste sour, right?

I used Safale US-05 yeast - no starter. Fermentation temps according to the stick on thermometer were around 66-68F.

I thought time would smooth it out but it has not. I will leave it sit for a few months and try it again.

Any help troubleshooting this one?

I used Milwaukee tap water - same as all my other batches.

I have my fridge set to around 41F and my CO2 at 13psi on all 3 of my kegs. I have a kolsch and Jamil's evil twin in the other kegs and they taste great.

the aftertaste hits you on the sides of your tongue - where you taste sour, right?

Nope, that's just an old wive's tale. Your tongue has receptors for all the flavors all over. Could be the way you're experiencing the flavors, kind of like how you can often feel the deep tannins in a big red win on the back of your tongue and on your cheeks.

Wow daksin, I thought you were pulling my leg :). So I did a google search and confirmed what you said.

And yeah, I totally know what you are talking about with the red wine thing. Maybe I'm just a little more sensitive to it than others???

If it's sour it makes you think that some Lactobacillus might have found it's way in. But, to me that's not always a bad thing because I like sour beers. If you want I can just come over and help you drink it. I don't mind at all lol

Some people perceive acetaldehyde as sour while others call it cider or green apple. Could this be what you notice. Bringing that key out where it is warmer for a week might let the yeast digest this if that is what it is.

Latest posts

Back