What other hops do you use with Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I have use Centennial with Cascade and that has worked well. I like it more than the wife. We both like the Cascade but I am looking for other hops combinations. Who has done Cascade with Hallertau or Tettnanger?? What did you think? What amounts in 5 gal. batch?

thanks, Mike

I just made a pale ale with Columbus for bittering and then 20-10-5-dry hop of Cascades. Bottled it two nights ago, the smell was amazing and tasted great too. I think I'm in love with the Cascade dry-hop.

There's a brewery here who does what's essentially an IPA but it has this intense sweetish-kinda-fruity-hoppy aroma -- they say they use Hallertau for it. If that's Hallertau, my guess would be that it would go really well with the Cascade based on what I smelled when bottling my pale ale the other night. I bought an ounce of Hallertau a while back to play with but haven't opened it yet, so I couldn't say for sure.

I'll bet every one does this. After 4 all grain batches we are sure we like Cascade. The Centennial with Cascade was good too. When we drink "store bought" we go for Sam Adams. I read on their site that they use Hallertau and Tettnangers. So I am thinking of combining all three in my amber ale recipe. Cascade for bittering and the other two for flavor.

You can use pretty much any hop for bittering, just adjust the amount based on the AA %. Hallertau has a very low AA so you will need to use a lot of it for bittering, plus it is imported so tends to be expensive, so it wont be very cost effective. Go ahead and experiment. You aren't likely to screw up an ale by mixing the wrong hops, especially if the main aroma and flavor component is Cascade.

I usually use magnum for bittering and then cascade, but I will start trying other things with cascade - amarillo, simcoe, and centennial in the near future.

There's a local brewery in my area that uses Cascades + Liberty in its pale ale, which is similar to the Hallertau idea. It's an interesting mix (it's not a big hop beer).

Back