secondary ferm vs. kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
I have an oatmeal stout in the carboy right now about 2 weeks in and fermentation is pretty much done (i used a fast acting yeast that blows up quickly). i want to know if there is a big difference between using a secondary fermenter or just racking it to my keg to condition in the kegerator for a few weeks. seems like the secondary wouldnt add much benefit. any thoughts?? thanks.

Well, there isn't a difference between aging in a carboy or a keg. So it doesn't matter which vessel you use.

The only difference here would be aging at room temperature vs. cold conditioning. If you feel that the stout isn't really "melded" yet, and it can benefit from some aging, I'd go ahead and keg it but keep the keg at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Then stick it in the kegerator for cold conditioning.

Some stouts are ready pretty fast- I have an oatmeal stout that is only 10 days old and it's going right into the kegerator next week. But some stouts are "roastier" and need a bit more time. In that case, I'd keep it at room temperature for a bit. Beer ages faster at room temperature.

Back