22 hours to start done in 48?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbauer210

Reaction score
I finished up a Sierra Clone that took 22 hours before it started to ferment (no starter). Once it started it went very strong for almost 30 hours and was totaly done bubbling after about 48 hours. I know the only way to tell if it is ready is by taking a gravity reading but I am slammed on time until the weekend. Does a 48 hour active fermentation sound right?

Even if the beer has finished fermenting, it still needs time to condition. Give it the full week in the primary, regardless. No worries about it sitting on the trub for at least a month.

Yes, the long start means strong yeast growth. Which then gobbled the sugar quickly.

So I took a gravity reading tonight. It was at 1.010 which is perfect I think. It tasted awsome too. I am very happy about this brew. On Sat I plan on racking to the secondary.

Some yeasts (Cooper's comes to mind) are very fast. Although the lag time I noticed was less than what you talk of. But it blazed through the first batch I ever made, I was so nervous.

Back