First All -Grain Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlb1125

Reaction score
:mug:Grain Bill 10 Lb
2 # Flaked Rice
,5 # Cara Munich II
1 # Carapils
6.5 # 2-Row (Breiss)

Hopps hallertau 3.0%
1oz. Boil 90 Min.
1oz. End of Boil

Yeast
1056 American Wyeast Activator

Well, that's alot of carapils, and some rice. I guess you're going for a light bodied, almost-lager like beer?

I'd cut the carpils in half. The bittering is very low, I'd add some more hallertauer to get you to about 15-25 IBUs. Why the 90 minute boil and hop addition?

The Guy At The Homebrew Store Gave Me That Advice.90 min. boil and hop addition

The Guy At The Homebrew Store Gave Me That Advice.90 min. boil and hop addition

Well, it's not necessary and may make the beer a bit darker than you hoped. You won't hurt the beer, it just doesn't have any purpose at all.

You're not using pilsner malt, which may require a 90 minute boil and 3% AAU Hallertauers definitely don't need a 90 minute boil. You'd just be wasting time, water, and propane.

The recipe is low on bittering hops, and too high on carapils. Other than that, it looks good. I'd ferment as cool as possible, like in the low 60s, so you get a lager-like finish in the beer. If it ferments higher, like closer to 70-72, you'll get a strange fruity finish in it.

Latest posts

Back