Starter from fridge question - room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
For the first time I'm about to use a starter that I've stored in the fridge (instead of not storing it in a fridge for a few days). I plan to pour out most of the extra wort on the top but one thing I'm not sure about is whether to warm it up. Should you take the starter out and let it acclimate to room temperature? Or should you just pitch it right from the fridge? I thought I read it's easier on the yeast if it's in the same temperature ballpark as the wort. But it would be nice to keep the starter out of the way and in the fridge until I need it.

Let it warm up close to your wort temp before you pitch. I usually pull the starter outta the fridge and decant before I start my brew.

Let it warm up close to your wort temp before you pitch. I usually pull the starter outta the fridge and decant before I start my brew.

I used to warm the starter to room temp. Then I read an article that indicated that taking the starter directly from the fridge and pitching it was preferable. I have had great success with my beers when I have pitched the starter directly from the fridge. I normally don't bother to decant and this has not made any difference either. I would suggest pitching cold a few times and comparing the results with pitching at room temp and deciding for yourself. Montanaandy

Back