Second AG batch.. help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
So I am getting ready for my second AG batch. The first was a take on St. Fuad's Irish Red, turned out great but with a lower FG than I expected
(1.004) - but very drinkable with a great roasted flavor.

Thanks to Jaybird for a good deal on a pack of Simcoe and my in-laws for all of the honey I can handle I was thinking something in lines of an IPA or IIPA.

After reading the article about Pliny in Zymurgy over the summer, they talked about using sugar to add extra strength without overloading the body of the beer - I will use the honey for that. A good balance of two row and rye for the base, and just a little bit of crystal to round things out.

Here is my first crack at the recipe. Any input/guidance would be appreciated.

Liberty Hound IIPA

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
65% 11 0 American Two-row Pale info 37 1
18% 3 0 Rye Malt info 29 4
12% 2 0 Honey info 35 1
4% 0 10 American Crystal 80L info 33 80
1% 0 4 American Dextrin (Cara-Pils) info 33 1

Original Gravity
(1.067 to 1.078)
Final Gravity
(1.015 to 1.019)
Color
8° SRM
(Gold to Copper)

hops
use time oz variety form aa
Boil 60 mins 1.5 Simcoe info leaf 13.2
Boil 45 mins 1.0 Simcoe info leaf 13.2
Boil 30 mins 1.0 Simcoe info leaf 13.2
Boil 15 mins 1.5 Simcoe info leaf 13.2
Boil 10 mins 1.0 Amarillo info pellet 8.0
Dry hop 7 days 1.5 Simcoe info leaf 13.2

Bitterness
33.0 HBU
80.4 IBU

yeast
California Ale info

Alcohol
7.6% A.B.V.
5.9% A.B.W.
Calories
247 per 12 oz.

I'm not sure you really need the carapils with that amount of hops. I understand the thinking behind it...but hops are basically natural head retention, so there's really no need for any extra effort on that front.

You know, I had read about that before, but I guess it just slipped my mind. I've had a few brews with little/no head and I really want to make sure this one is a pleaser.

Thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on the Rye/Two Row ratio? I want it to have good crispness from the rye, but not be too much rye up front so i figure right around 15-20% would be good.

Latest posts

Back