Zero alcohol beer brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhfd

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I signed up basically just to post this question.

I have just recently started drinking Cooper's zero alcohol "Birrell" beer, which tastes pretty dang good to me considering I don't "drink". I remember drinking light beer years ago though and thought it was *terrible*, so this stuff just tastes so good I cant get enough! The fact that theres zero sugar (or artificial sweetener) just makes it even better! From what I've read it sounds like they had to use some special yeast to actually make a zero alc beer taste good. I've had a look around and can't find much information on how to brew your own. I'm not after a birrell brew kit (I doubt it exists), I just want to try making my own zero alc beer. So...

Is there any way a home brewer can brew zero (0.5%) alcohol beer that'll taste reasonable? If you can point me to any links or recipes or anything thatd be awesome, thanks!

Regards,
Jay

Sorry to Hijack this thread but.....

Does anyone know how much difference calorie wise there is between a NA homebrew and one with alcohol? I was looking at the difference between busch NA and regular Busch, but I doubt they are using the same recipe for the NA that they used to make the regular.

Since I've got an abundance of beer now, I'd like to start turning maybe 2 gallons of my batches to NA for drinking instead of cola/tea.

Sorry to Hijack this thread but.....

Does anyone know how much difference calorie wise there is between a NA homebrew and one with alcohol? I was looking at the difference between busch NA and regular Busch, but I doubt they are using the same recipe for the NA that they used to make the regular.

Since I've got an abundance of beer now, I'd like to start turning maybe 2 gallons of my batches to NA for drinking instead of cola/tea.

1 gram of alcohol (pure C2H5OH) will have 7 calories. Compare this with 1 gram of fat having 9 calories, 1 gram protein 4 calories, and 1 gram carbohydates as 4 calories.

You would have to weigh your beer, and calculate using alcohol by weight numbers to determine how many grams of alcohol are in your specific beer.

Ok someone check my math. Ok 12 oz of beer = 354 ml

According a website, my ABW should be 3.99% So .0399(354ml)= 14.13 grams Ethanol

14.13grams(7 Kcal)= 98 cal from Ethanol.

So, using beersmith.....one of my recipes comes out to 167 Kcal/12 oz.

So 167Kcal - 98 Kcal = 69 Calories ?

That sounds kinda low if Busch NA is like 64 calories.

0.0399*354ml doesn't equal grams. You'll need to actually weigh the beer (can't use density because alcohol will have different density than the solution of sugar and water it is contained in).

oh well.........I've been needing a gram scale for a long time now anyways. Maybe I'll get around to buying one for this project.

If your ABW is 3.99, then your ABV is 3.99 * 1.25 = 5

5% ABV x 354 ml = 17.7 ml ethanol

17.7 ml ethanol * 0.789 grams/ml = 14 grams of ethanol

14 grams * 7 KCal/g = 98 KCal

Basically the same answer you got, because there isn't enough ethanol (and the density isn't that different from water) to skew the results...one ml of H20 = 1g; one ml of 5% ABV beer = 0.99 g

If your ABW is 3.99, then your ABV is 3.99 * 1.25 = 5

5% ABV x 354 ml = 17.7 ml ethanol

17.7 ml ethanol * 0.789 grams/ml = 14 grams of ethanol

14 grams * 7 KCal/g = 98 KCal

Basically the same answer you got, because there isn't enough ethanol (and the density isn't that different from water) to skew the results...one ml of H20 = 1g; one ml of 5% ABV beer = 0.99 g

Where did the .789 g come from?

Back