Great beginner beer ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser21

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you old timers have any suggestions for people just starting out in the hobby. What are some ideas of beers that are hard to mess up? You know, confidence building beers!:drunk:

Thanks for any suggestions or recipes

one that i've found is a real easy one is to do a Raspberry wheat or brown ale. if you add the raspberrys to the secondary you can get a really clean taste. the best part is that your SWMBO will love it. you cant really foul it up. for a recipe pull down the RECIPE thingy under my member status. its an extract brew so you can make it easy.

I started with a bass ale clone. Really nice and easy to see how you did since you can compare it to something!

Stouts are usually good beers to start with because they can hide some imperfections. I also think that a nice simple pale ale with just a few ingredients can be a great beer for beginners to make. Brew what you like and keep it simple at first.

Cheers

Thank for the replies. My first batch was a pale ale and it turned out ok. It was pretty bitter though. I think this was because I did not strain the hops but I dunno. I finished it none the less so it wasn't undrinkable!

To further specify what I am looking for...

I would like a beer that is pretty neutral on all ends. I'm not sure of different styles because all i have really drank before I got into home brewing is miller lite. I am not here to find out how to make miller lite though, but I would like to find a beer that has flavor but not so much that I am the only one that will drink it!

Wheat beers are always good, especially this time of year. A cold hefe with a lemon wedge is a real crowd pleaser.

Wheat beers are always good, especially this time of year. A cold hefe with a lemon wedge is a real crowd pleaser.

+1 Abso-freakin-lutely! I made a Bavarian Hefeweizen and not only is it good for summer but your able to drink wheat beers young

Thanks for the replies. I am a little uneasy about switching to recipes until I get a couple more brews under my belt so I want to stick with ingredient kits for now and all my lhbs has for a wheat beer is the Brewers Best Weizenbier kit.

Is this a pretty good and neutral beer?

Has anyone tried this specific kit? How did it taste?

Thanks
Brian

Back